1997 Volkswagen Golf TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Volkswagen Golf TDI
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Loss of Power Due to Oil and Carbon Build Up in Intake Manifold
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Vehicles Using Biofuels May Have Injection Pump Failures
1997 Volkswagen Golf TDI Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
Oil and carbon tend to build up, creating restrictions in the intake manifold. Symptoms will be loss of power (sometimes severe) and poor fuel economy.