1998 Volkswagen Beetle Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volkswagen Beetle
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Premature Head Light Bulb Burnout and Bulb Harness Failure is Common
- Check Engine Light Due to Ignition Component/Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Failure
- Flasher Relay Failure Can Cause Erratic Turn Signal Operation
- Mass Air Flow Sensor May Fail
- car won't start
- WHAT MAY BE CAUSING MY MANUAL TRANSMISSION VW TO REV UP WHEN SITTING IDLE?
- my signal lights will not work on the dash or on the outside.can someone let me know why? the fuses are fine
- I have a 98 VW I have to turn the key back and forwards several times before it starts the start is good and the battery is good.
- I have to turn the key back and forth several times before it starts whatproblem
1998 Volkswagen Beetle Problems
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
One or both head lights may not work due to premature head light bulb burnout and/or bulb harness failure. Care should be taken to inspect the head light harness connector for damage when replacing bulbs. Damaged connectors should be replaced.
1998 Volkswagen Beetle Questions
WHEN I AM AT A LIGHT, OR STOP SIGN, SOMETIMES MY CAR JUST STARTS REVVING UP REALLY HARD. NOT SURE WHY THIS HAPPENS AND HOW TO STOP IT.
1998 Volkswagen Beetle Recalls
Volkswagen has recalled certain 1999-2002 Jetta and 1998-2002 Beetle models because a brake light switch may malfunction if incorrectly installed during a safety recall. This can cause the brake lights to become inoperative or remain on. Dealers will install the newly designed brake light switch free of charge.
1998 Volkswagen Beetle Reviews
Car interior is small. Cupholders do not work well for any drinks. No armspace. Brakes wear out quickly. Drive train takes a while to shift or pick up speed. The electrical system seems to malfunction randomly. Bulbs are often replaced. The engine gets extremely hot. The air intake system seems to always need cleaning. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I feel like I am intensely hittin...
I owe a 1998 VW Beetle in wish i loved, when it was in good conditions i drove it for 1 year than everything started to fall apart. I replaced the motor, changed the radiator,double cooling fans, thermostat, timing belt. cat. converters, did a complete 2 times tune ups in 6 months, changed the cables and all, water pump starter, and still check engine on. the interior started breaking, door pan...
mother in law sold the car to us this june 2011, 1998 red beettle 26k ,bad part she stop driving a few years back, so far driver side window motor $350.00, rear brakes,capiler $200.00,alarm system sounds at any time whem locked.#400.00 for plastic cover under the engine.no fun