1997 Toyota Tercel Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Toyota Tercel
- Auto trans. will drive a little then stop after a short heating. grinding sound.
- Do all Tercels have drive belt tension pulleys???
- my tercel trans stopped in the first stop and make noises when shifting to parki
- Dash lites out in 97 Tercel.Replaced fuse. Can it be fixed in shop?Approx cost?
- Battery no longer wishes to play.
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Tolker Auto Service (240) 233-2581 | 17.49mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- LXT Automotive (301) 679-7303 | 20.28mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
1997 Toyota Tercel Problems
The EGR System tends to get restricted or blocked with carbon after 100,000- 125,000 miles which will cause an emissions test failure for NOX. If the EGR system is equipped with an EGR temperature sensor it will trigger a Check Engine Light for improper EGR flow. The repair is to clean out the EGR passages and the EGR Temperature sensor. Our technicians tell this repair is pretty straight forward and takes about 1-1.5 hours. It is also wise to verify the EGR system components i.e. the Transducer, EGR Valve and VSV Solenoid at this time.
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
The ignition coil inside the distributor may fail. Our technicians tell us this may result in a hesitation on acceleration, especially when the vehicle is warming up on cold, rainy days. The pickup coils inside the distributor can also fail and cause a no-start condition. There have also been some failures of the radio noise suppressors inside the distributors, which can short out. Our technicians recommend replacing the whole distributor with a complete, genuine Toyota distributor if any of its components fail.
1997 Toyota Tercel Questions
the reason I'm asking is my 97 Tercel had 2 tension pulleys on it but after i had some work done to it i noticed it now has none. In fact the whole pulley set up does not look the same??? the guy said he replaced the crank because it had some a few broken teeth on it. I'm really confused,...
Last night driving I noticed interior lights(dash and clock) were very dim as with headlights. Battery light has been off and on for a while but yesterday consistently on. Got home my dad took my battery out of the car and tried 2 different batteries. Neither batteries worked unless a hot box was...
the transmission will start out in first but will not change to second or third I checked the transmission fluid its dirty but not burnt.
1997 Toyota Tercel Reviews
I love this car. very good gas mileage. I own it since it came out on 97. it has 190,xxx miles but still with original timing belt and water bump. now it burns lots oil. but it can be fixed easily - just replace some valve seals. event burn oil, passing smog no problem. it goes up to 30mpg.
super commuter, got it with 2,000 miles and it now has 224,000 miles on it. replaced tranny at 100, 000 (my fault for thinking it was an f-1 car) all original engine and suspension, engine burns "some" oil, suspension definitly sagging..oh yeah brakes done 1 time. im looking to rebuild my motor and get some basic things replaced. BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED
I have this car since bought the same year, believe it or not I still ahve it at 257k! Change major necessary part ofcourse but still runs good air condition. Love it! PS I think I just need to replace the brakes though but it's all good!