1996 Toyota Tercel Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Toyota Tercel
- CAUSE OF WATER/SLUSHING SOUND AT FRONT DASHBOARD WHEN DRIVING ?
- How do I access the heater control valve on a 1996 Toyota Tercel?
- My car face a problem with tempruture as it is always high over 95 degree
- If the wire colors on my old oxygen sensor and my new 1 matters in difference.
- My car only has 56,000 miles on it but seems to be consuming a lot of oil.
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1996 Toyota Tercel Problems
The EGR System tends to get restricted or blocked with carbon after 100,000- 125,000 miles which will cause an emissions test failure for NOX. If the EGR system is equipped with an EGR temperature sensor it will trigger a Check Engine Light for improper EGR flow. The repair is to clean out the EGR passages and the EGR Temperature sensor. Our technicians tell this repair is pretty straight forward and takes about 1-1.5 hours. It is also wise to verify the EGR system components i.e. the Transducer, EGR Valve and VSV Solenoid at this time.
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
The ignition coil inside the distributor may fail. Our technicians tell us this may result in a hesitation on acceleration, especially when the vehicle is warming up on cold, rainy days. The pickup coils inside the distributor can also fail and cause a no-start condition. There have also been some failures of the radio noise suppressors inside the distributors, which can short out. Our technicians recommend replacing the whole distributor with a complete, genuine Toyota distributor if any of its components fail.
1996 Toyota Tercel Questions
I cannot control the heater temperature. I believe the cable end has come off the control valve lever. It appears to me it may be behind a plastic plate in the top-center of the dash. I tried prying the plate but it did not seem to want to budge. I don't want to break it in any way... How do ...
1996 Toyota Tercel Reviews
Essentially bulletproof. Only issues: starter and second oxygen sensor. The starter just failed, at about 75,000 miles. It turned out to NOT be the sensor, but the exhaust pipe. The biggest challenge is/was finding a good, trustworthy shop, as it is with any car.
Purchased my Tercel with 82,000 miles on it...Just rolled it over to 337,000 miles with nothing but very basic and limted manitance. At 325K I had to replace the first rotor and a windshield washer pump. Been a great little car!
I have been using since 2009 to date almost four years but changed only battery,refill gas.Toyota Tercel 1996.