1997 Toyota RAV4 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Toyota RAV4
- Replace EVAP Canister to Correct EVAP System Problems
- Car won't start due to worn/corroded solenoid contacts in starter
- Automatic Transmission May Not Shift Correctly at High Mileages
- P0773 fault code at higher mileage due to failed 3-way lock-up solenoid
- Idle air control motors may become carboned up at 100,000 miles
- My car ran out of fuel, and when I refueled it it wouldn't start.
- Think it is electrical problem, how do I trace this? Fuses changed, and looks ok
- why is my rav4 not warming up while idleing.blowing cold air
- my car drags or do engine brake like whenever I release the accelerator
- coolant leak under engine not under radiator heard noise like rattling metal
1997 Toyota RAV4 Problems
The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.starter. Usually, these parts can be replaced without purchasing a new starter.
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
1997 Toyota RAV4 Questions
I checked the EFI fuses and relays, but I couldn't hear the fuel pump make any noise when I checked it out. Is this common to happen if you run out of fuel?
Cruise control quit, then would not start next morning, jumped thought it was battery, lights shinning but not on, changed fuse, it started, would not engage out of park, no radio, wipers or break lights. Never had problem before. Just changed brake pads a week ago, should have no effect.
The car drags whenever I releases the accelerator to slow down without stepping on the brakes. It's like making an engine brake when it is supposed to slow down smoothly without stepping on the brakes.
1997 Toyota RAV4 Reviews
at 94,000 miles my '97 Rav 4L is blowing fuses when I try to replace the fuse for the tail lights and dashboard light. Does anyone else have this ploblem? Any suggestions as to where in Oakland to get this electrical prob/ fixed inexpensively?