1996 Toyota RAV4 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Toyota RAV4
- Replace EVAP Canister to Correct EVAP System Problems
- P0773 fault code at higher mileage due to failed 3-way lock-up solenoid
- Loss of Power on Highway Due to Internally Leaking Fuel Pulsation Dampener
- Automatic Transmission May Not Shift Correctly at High Mileages
- Worn Shift Bushings Will Cause Manual Transmission to Pop Out of Gear
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
- Preferred Automotive (301) 710-5186 | 20.18mi
1996 Toyota RAV4 Problems
The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.
A loss of power on the freeway may due to an internally leaking fuel pulsation dampener. This commonly occurs on higher mileage vehicles.
1996 Toyota RAV4 Questions
Problem is permeant it doesn't matter if you rev it or idle it won't go above 4,000rpm but it won't run any longer than 20-30 sec ... New fresh fuel added spark plugs added .. ... Spark present ... Again ideas guys ?
has occurred 3 times in 1 month.
RAV4 with 73,000 mi.
dealership service dept. unable to diagnose
1996 Toyota RAV4 Reviews
This car is quickly becoming a lemon. The AC compressor failed a couple of years ago. It didn't make a big difference until we moved to FLA, USA. Constant problems with the window motor on the driver side. It costs $300.00 for the part. Otherwise, the mileage is averaging 20 mph with an even mix of highway and city. Thankfully it is a 2nd car, and I don't have to drive it that much. It ...