1996 Toyota RAV4 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Toyota RAV4
- Replace EVAP Canister to Correct EVAP System Problems
- Automatic Transmission May Not Shift Correctly at High Mileages
- P0773 fault code at higher mileage due to failed 3-way lock-up solenoid
- Loss of Power on Highway Due to Internally Leaking Fuel Pulsation Dampener
- Idle air control motors may become carboned up at 100,000 miles
- Problem with car starting
- gears are poping out while driving 3, 4 , 5
- Tail light fuse blows. Where is the short, most likely?
- Hello,my rav no longer starts up after 3 months in hybernation;as in the past, boosted the battery to the point when theres enough juice to crank the engine...so it cranks but no longer startsup....timing belt was already changed two years ago..plz help
- hello!my '96 rav4 no longer starts after sitting on driveway for 3-4 months
1996 Toyota RAV4 Problems
The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
1996 Toyota RAV4 Questions
Tail light fuse blows when I turn on headlights, no running tail lights.
The ac is a little cool after two small cans recharge when I start engine push button engine revs high then low high then low, do i need mor of that r24 what to do or check? I
1996 Toyota RAV4 Reviews
This car is quickly becoming a lemon. The AC compressor failed a couple of years ago. It didn't make a big difference until we moved to FLA, USA. Constant problems with the window motor on the driver side. It costs $300.00 for the part. Otherwise, the mileage is averaging 20 mph with an even mix of highway and city. Thankfully it is a 2nd car, and I don't have to drive it that much. It ...
Over 150,000K, 4x4, 2-door. The only significant problem were two separate CEL issues. Trusted local mechanics were unable to fix either problem after multiple tries. Finally, took it to the dealer and, yes, they charged me through the nose each time, but both times it was fixed the same day. Lesson learned: there really are some things the dealer can do better (assuming they're on the up-n-up ...