1996 Toyota Paseo Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Toyota Paseo
- Engine Problems Due to Pickup/Iginition Coil Failure Inside Distributor
- Throttle Position Sensor Out of Adjustment Due to Wear/Carbon Build-up
- Automatic Transmission May Not Shift Correctly at High Mileages
- Engine mount on driver side can wear with high mileage
- Replace Oxygen Sensor When Servicing EGR System
- I have a 96 Toyota Paseo it has a problem with oil seals
- 1996 Paseo. Auto gearbox seems to be slipping at high revs. why is this?
- Motor cuts out when accelerating in any gear at any speed.
- How do you replace the altetnator
- engine is idling at 2000rpm. this start to climb slowly. will not idle at proper
1996 Toyota Paseo Problems
The ignition coil inside the distributor can fail. There will be a hesitation on acceleration, especially when the vehicle is warming up on cold, rainy days. The pickup coil inside the distributor can also fail and cause a no-start condition. There have also been some failures of the radio noise suppressor inside the distributor, which can short out. Our technicians recommend replacing the whole distributor with a complete, genuine Toyota distributor if any of its components fail.
The Throttle Position Sensor can get out of adjustment due to wear in the throttle body or due to carbon build up. This will cause the idle timing to advance more than 30 degrees which will cause very high HC and NOx emissions. Conversely, the Throttle Position Sensors can wear out and not properly advance the timing which causes a lack of power and poor fuel economy.
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
1996 Toyota Paseo Questions
I have replace them and they keep blowing out what wood the problem be
Problem occurs in reverse also, doesn't seem to be engaging the gearbox well. Feels like its slipping. car has not been serviced for a long time though.. does the gear box need a complete overall or is it another problem. thanks
When accelerating through any gear the motor completely shuts down for a split second without warning then runs fine again. It is so quick that all you feel is a extreme thump. Please help,