1996 Toyota 4Runner Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Toyota 4Runner
- Capacity of fluid in cooling system in a 1996 Toyota 4runner
- I have a miss fire # 6 cylinder ; switched ignition coils; spark plug ;wires; fuel injector; miss fire still stayed on # 6 cylinder, engine compression is good mainly @ operating temp
- Lower ball joints worn and leaking. Was told they need repair. How much?
- My car stared acting up a few days ago it started out not going in reverse.
- I've had misfire on #4 cylinder after eliminated plugs, wires and the coil pack
1996 Toyota 4Runner Problems
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
The EGR System tends to get restricted or blocked with carbon after 100,000- 125,000 miles which will cause an emissions test failure for NOX. If the EGR system is equipped with an EGR temperature sensor it will trigger a Check Engine Light for improper EGR flow. The repair is to clean out the EGR passages and the EGR Temperature sensor. Our technicians tell this repair is pretty straight forward and takes about 1-1.5 hours. It is also wise to verify the EGR system components i.e. the Transducer, EGR Valve and VSV Solenoid at this time.
1996 Toyota 4Runner Questions
That's all the info I have.
Then when I went to drive it it started making a roaring noise until I hit about 25 after that it ran great but when I went to slow down it started making the roaring nosie again .. I took it to two different people one said tork converter and other said drive shaft. But they really wasn't su...
1996 Toyota 4Runner Recalls
Toyota has recalled 1996-1998 4Runner trucks because when they are loaded down fully, steering response and handling may be compromised, which can cause a loss of vehicle control. Dealers will replace the rear suspension parts.
Toyota recalls 1996 4Runner trucks because the label that warns consumers about the special handling conditions of the truck is not affixed to the driver's side sun visor. If the driver is not aware of these conditions, a loss of control may occur. Dealers will install new sun visors that include the missing sticker.