1991 Toyota 4Runner Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1991 Toyota 4Runner
- Driver side door won't latch after being opened. Any ideas?
- Shouldn't the alternator ligt-bulb light up briefly when the engine is started?
- what is the fuel pressure on this car,supposed to be.
- car starts or not starts may set then start it does not turn over
- What years would also fit on my 1991 toyota 4runner transmission?
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
1991 Toyota 4Runner Problems
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
The EGR System tends to get restricted or blocked with carbon after 100,000- 125,000 miles which will cause an emissions test failure for NOX. If the EGR system is equipped with an EGR temperature sensor it will trigger a Check Engine Light for improper EGR flow. The repair is to clean out the EGR passages and the EGR Temperature sensor. Our technicians tell this repair is pretty straight forward and takes about 1-1.5 hours. It is also wise to verify the EGR system components i.e. the Transducer, EGR Valve and VSV Solenoid at this time.
1991 Toyota 4Runner Questions
starter tested 3times ok neut. swct. new- post. cable new batt. ok - car may start 20 times then not start sets then may start. had starter tested because tapped on and started new starter 3wks old may be bad ground or ingt.switch bad help thanks
I was told it was three years apart i believe but three years up or down?
91 runner.. when engaged and hubs locked in the left pulls fine and the right seems to pull halfway around then slip or something. Please help...
1991 Toyota 4Runner Recalls
Toyota is recalling 1990-1995 4Runner, 1990-1995 pickup, and 1993-1998 Toyota T100 trucks because the steering relay rod may crack under stress. This may increase the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the steering relay rod.
1991 Toyota 4Runner Reviews
My Hilux Surf is a incredible! The only problems this vehicle has ever has was a bad head gasket (recalled item & was replaced) and my transmission needed servicing after 208,000km of HEAVY use (rock crawling, mudding, towing and years of skiing trips). The body is sound (NO rust holes), drivetrain like a tank, and the only electrical issues I have is the wiring to my rear window de-fogger ne...
very dependable, bought used w/ 200,000 + miles and drives great any and all problems it has our compliments of the previous owners handi-work
Great Car runs like a beast never broke down yet 230,000 miles and counting only thing ive had to replace was the distributer cap and some spark plugs other then that runs just as good as it did 20+ years ago.