1996 Saturn SL1 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Saturn SL1
- Do I Really Need An Alignment?
- radio and wipers not working after ignition lock cylinder replaced .
- My trans will not shift into 3rd or 4th gear the check engine light comes on
- Seems to be, on occasion,leaking gas from the engine compartment
- What type of power steering fluid should I add? Seems low in reservoir.
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1996 Saturn SL1 Problems
The timing chain may come into contact with the timing cover, causing noise in the engine. Replacement of worn timing chain components will be necessary to correct this concern.
The alternator may fail causing the charge light to illuminate. Driving with this condition will eventually cause the engine to stall due to low system voltage.
1996 Saturn SL1 Questions
Stared when ignition was stuck, then it was replaced now radio and wipers won't come on.
the check engine light comes on the code reader says gear ratio is incorrect. (733, 734) I reset the computer and all is good for another 500- 750 mls then again no 3rd or 4th gear. Just before this happens I notice a hard banging shift especially on hills. there is 90,000 mls on the car.
The week prior, after engaging engine smelled gas for maybe 1/4 mile. Went away & no problem. Week later, backed out could smell & see drops of gas. What could cause this?
1996 Saturn SL1 Reviews
I've owned several cars of various makes, but this one by far is the best I've had the pleasure of driving. Got it in January 2006 with 160000 on the odometer. It now has 263000 miles. I have replaced some suspension parts, as one should on a car with that high of mileage. A 5-speed manual, shifting is easy and smooth. Clutch may have been replaced prior to me buying it, I'm not sure, but ei...
I've had this car 11 years has 152K on it and only had to do minor maintance, oil changes, brake, tires, tune up etc. great car for the money, it's been good to me for sure.
i purchased my 96 saturn sl1 for 400 bucks plus some rims w 205000 on it ive been driving this car for over a year and a half the best car i ever owned all i have put into it was two front tires new ball joins front brakes and a tune up now my car has 250000 miles and still runs its slugish but due miles its normal i think its a five speed so good gas milage overall a great car