1997 Saturn SL Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Saturn SL
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
1997 Saturn SL Problems
The alternator may fail causing the charge light to illuminate. Driving with this condition will eventually cause the engine to stall due to low system voltage.
The timing chain may come into contact with the timing cover, causing noise in the engine. Replacement of worn timing chain components will be necessary to correct this concern.
1997 Saturn SL Questions
I wait 1 or 2 hours then the car will crank and run again for thirty minutes, then shuts off.
My car cuts off when I'm driving, no system light comes on, the car just stops. So far, it starts back eventually, but I would really like to have some idea of what's going on. It's not the battery, the lights still work. When I turn the key, it makes no sound at all--no click, nothin...
I have to turn key 3 or more times to crank car. It turns over, but will not crank--winter time, it cranks first turn of the key. In the summer, the more stops I make, the worse it is. I live in Mississippi, where sometimes its 100 degrees, I'm afraid eventually I will get stranded somewhere...
1997 Saturn SL Recalls
1997 Saturn SL Reviews
270K miles on "Goldie" outside of normal maintenance, nothing until 180K-AC replaced & Radiator replaced; 190K lower control arms and the 250K transmission. So let's see - about $2400 over 12 years, not to bad.
Had to get the head gasket replaced on mine due to leaking oil, but otherwise a great, reliable car - even in snow.