1998 Mercury Sable Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Mercury Sable
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
1998 Mercury Sable Problems
The engine oil pan gasket can develop a leak. Leaking oil may accumulate on the exhaust system resulting in a burning smell. Replacing the gasket should correct this leak.
If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.
The magnet for the camshaft position sensor may fall out of its mount and damage the synchronizers. This causes long crank times when starting the engine and may cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. If this happens, both the magnets and the synchronizers need to be replaced.
1998 Mercury Sable Questions
Was told by an incompetent mechanic that my EGR vacuum line had a clog in it, he couldn't fix it, find replacement part etc. I continued driving it, single mom, kinda need my car, but one day it just started losing power on freeway. I pulled car off highway and turned it of, back on, and when...
ANT THE ENGINE DOES NOT OVERHEAT
1998 Mercury Sable Recalls
Ford has recalled certain 1998-1999 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles for an issue with the front seat belt buckle attaching stud. On some vehicles, the attaching stud could develop cracks due to manufacturing issues. If cracked, the belt may become detached and not properly protect vehicle occupants. Dealers will replace the seat belt buckle mounting bracket and stud assembly.
Ford has recalled certain 1997-1998 Taurus and Mercury Sable vehicles and 1998 Contour, Mercury Mystique, Lincoln Navigator, and Town Car models to provide owners with proper instructions on how to aim their headlamps. If there is a need to adjust the headlamps, during headlamp replacement for example, there is a lack of proper documentation on how to properly perform the adjustment. Ford will mail vehicle owners a new owner guide containing revised aiming instructions.