1998 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL500
- I have a 98 SL500 the top won't go up and lock
- The soft top goes up but stops just before locking and won't lock.
- Should I have the automatic transmission serviced. If so at what intervals.
- my soft top will not unlatch above the windshield.
- When i start my car i sl 500 i hear air in the inside of the car
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- BMW Excluservice (301) 605-9877 | 20.3mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
1998 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problems
As vehicles age, various problems may develop with the hard and soft tops. If problems are encountered, it would be recommended to have a technician familiar with these tops perform the diagnoses.
Leaks may develop from the differential cover and/or seals on high mileage or older vehicles. Our technicians recommend a complete reseal of the differential unit if these leaks are addressed.
As brake fluid becomes dirty over time, it can cause a failure of the anti-lock brake system (ABS) modulator assembly. Our technicians recommend a complete brake system flush every two years to help prevent this issue.
1998 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Questions
my soft top will not unlatch above the windshield, any ideas?
Not long ago I discovered that I had a dead battery. After recharging @ reprogramming my 98 SL500 everything seemed fine. Then when I killed the car I sat listening and hear a small, very quiet fan blowing up thru the Defrost. The only way I can keep it from draining my battery is if I remove the...
How do I remove the BOSE system so I can get to the hydraulic cylinder?
1998 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Reviews
very good condition, low miles
1998 SL500 with 123k miles now. It has 32 valves and dual OHC. A pleasure to drive. From 1999 through about 2008 I think they have one OHC and 24 valves. I love the car but its like a mistress that always wants more. At 99,000 miles one hydraulic roof cylinder (they raise and lower the soft top) went out-1800; at 107,000 the transmission went-4,700 at AAMCO: to be fair, it may have gone out...