1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500
- AC stops working everyday after 40 minutes. Would compressor work at all?
- How to reset parking brake?
- When traviling at a constant speed the car rpms will osolate about 150 rpms
- I replaced the altenator. Can this be a wire harness problem?
- Where can I get the bolt torque specs for the cam bolts and the valve cover?
1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problems
As vehicles age, various problems may develop with the hard and soft tops. If problems are encountered, it would be recommended to have a technician familiar with these tops perform the diagnoses.
Leaks may develop from the differential cover and/or seals on high mileage or older vehicles. Our technicians recommend a complete reseal of the differential unit if these leaks are addressed.
The lower control arm bushings can wear and crack, resulting excessive movement at the control arm pivot point, leading to irregular and premature tire wear. Worn Ball joints can also cause similar tire wear symptoms. I some cases it may be necessary to replace the lower control arm, including bushings & ball joint to correct this concern.
1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Questions
Had Freon added.
How to reset parking brake?
The altenator warning light goes on and off. I replaced the altenator two times,and still have the same problem.
Both altenators checked out to be good.
Do you think the wire harness would cause this?