1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320
- Hard/soft Tops May Develop Problems Due to Age
- Insulation Degrades on Engine Wiring Harness and Leaves Conductors Exposed
- Radiators Break Due to Degradation of the Plastic Tanks and Fittings
- High Usage Vehicles May Experience Ignition Lock and Tumbler Failures
- Transmission Oil Seals May Leak on High Mileage Vehicles
- When the battery is jumped, why do certain features stop working?
- hydraulic oil completely leaks out wild the soft top was down windows not goingu
- The hardtop will not release and I need to remove it.
- Is their a schematic for ignition key and dash gauges. I lose power to gauges
- windshild washer not working
1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320 Problems
As vehicles age, various problems may develop with the hard and soft tops. If problems are encountered, it would be recommended to have a technician familiar with these tops perform the diagnoses.
The engine wiring can degrade because the insulating material falls off leaving the bare wire exposed. This can cause many problems depending on which wires are exposed and what they touch.
A coolant leak may develop form the Radiator due to degradation of its plastic components. Replacement of the failed radiator will be necessary.
1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320 Questions
I just purchased this low mileage(~49,000 miles)SL320 and noticed that the top control button was on and the soft top, roll bar, radio did not work. The dealer told me they would look into it and what they found was some "codes that had to be reset"; this seemed to take care of the prob...
driving- turn on washer,notic water coming out hood near left head light,refiled turned back on nothing, moter runing ,no sprea,and or leak.
need an illustration of the timing marks and cam counter shaft balancer