1996 Mercedes-Benz S500 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Mercedes-Benz S500
- Closing Assist/Door Lock Issues Due to Pneumatic System Problems
- Replace Brake Rotors When Pads are Worn and Squeaking
- Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure
- Insulation Degrades on Engine Wiring Harness and Leaves Conductors Exposed
- Leaks Develop at Differential Seals/Cover on High Mileage/Older Vehicles
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500 Problems
Problems with the pneumatic system can cause closing assist and door lock issues.
The brakes may begin to squeak at about the 50 percent wear point. This is due to the size and material used for the brake pads and rotors. The brake rotor surfaces become uneven, causing a lip to form at the outer edge. This will generally require replacement of the rotors when the pads are worn (pad life varies depending on driving style and terrain).
The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500 Questions
Went through two containers of coolant after seeing white steam come from exhaust. No oil/coolant mix as of yet. Haappened during hard exceleration. Drove home and refilled,two containers leaked out within 15 minutes.
No blown fuses for seats or side mirrors as well as tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Worked once and then not since.
how do you stop the pump from pumping the fluid from back there
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500 Recalls
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500 Reviews
My 96 S500 Mercedes Benz Sedan out ranks any Mercedes on the road. There will never b a car like this that comes off the assembly line. I really can understand why this was a special edition, people want to catch me on the road or pass me by just to admire the big body Benz.