1998 Mercedes-Benz S420 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Mercedes-Benz S420
- Closing Assist/Door Lock Issues Due to Pneumatic System Problems
- Window Regulator Failure is Common
- Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor Causing Erratic Engine Operation and Poor Fuel Economy
- Glove box hinges, center console arm rest, and cup holders may break
- Insulation Degrades on Engine Wiring Harness and Leaves Conductors Exposed
- parking brake adjustment
- My steering is locked up. Car will start, but steering does not come out of loc
- cost of replacing the automatic transmission with a used/remanufac. transmission
- 1998 MBZ S420 Push key pad lights come on but doesn't unlock the doors.
- what side is a cylender number 8 on 1998 mercedes benz s 420
1998 Mercedes-Benz S420 Problems
Problems with the pneumatic system can cause closing assist and door lock issues.
One or more door windows may stop working due to a failed window regulator. Replacement of the failed regulator will be necessary to correct this concern.
A faulty mass air flow (MAF) sensor can cause erratic/rough engine operation and fuel economy issues. Since this sensor measures the actual amount of air entering the motor, when it fails, the engine control module (ECM) takes the wrong information and delivers incorrect volumes of fuel to the cylinders.
1998 Mercedes-Benz S420 Questions
park brake slips
I just picked up the vehicle at body shop having the front bumper repaired. Turning on the air conditioner, no air flow is generated. I tried to remove "auto" set on driver side but this stays activated ( at least light is on). When I try override and setting fan to high directly, no...
We replaced the trans, & it won't shift, even manually. We replaced the tcm with a used one, but neither the old one or the used one has voltage to the solenoids. The white wire (+) has no voltage. It supplies power to the solenoids from the tcm.
1998 Mercedes-Benz S420 Reviews
OVERALL, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HANDLING CARS THAT I'VE EVER OWNED. I'VE OWNED A Z-28 CAMARO, A VOLVO, A LEXUS AND ABOUT 7 TOYOTA SUVs. THE BRAKING IS INCREDIBLE AND THE DRIVE IS LIKE BUTTER. WHAT DRIVES ME NUTS IS THE GASOLINE SMELL IN THE COMPARTMENT PRESUMABLY FROM THE NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTERS WE JUST INSTALLED (FOR THE 2ND TIME). THE STEERING WHEEL PUMP HAS HAD TO BE REPLACED (ALSO FOR ...