1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
- Hard/Soft Tops May Develop Problems Due to Age
- Bad Switch/Blower Motor Resistor Assembly May Cause Inoperative Heater Blower Motor
- Repair Leaks From Head Gasket/Timing Cover Gasket Before Oil and Coolant Intermix
- High Usage Vehicles May Experience Ignition Lock and Tumbler Failures
- Insulation Degrades on Engine Wiring Harness and Leaves Conductors Exposed
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Problems
As vehicles age, various problems may develop with the hard and soft tops. If problems are encountered, it would be recommended to have a technician familiar with these tops perform the diagnoses.
Other than a defective motor, a bad switch or blower motor resistor assembly can cause an inoperative heater blower motor.
Internal and External engine oil & coolant leaks can develop from the head gasket and/or timing cover gasket; these leaks should be repaired before the engine oil and coolant intermix which can result in severe engine damage.
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Questions
The meters are going up and down sometimes. Eventually it may brake down completely some workshop guy told me.
Any tips for what to do? Is he right? What will be the price for a new or used one?
The hard top is on when I make the turn.
Red light is on.
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Reviews
1) the electrical wire issue. Basically this makes the car a rolling wreck with it only a matter of time before they short out and your entire computer system and or EZL explodes...anyone out there care to guess how much that would cost (an EZL for this particular car is extremely expensive) I was told that the insullation was designed to be GREEN and biodegrade...which is why it falls apart......
Nice car but does have a number of issues after 20+ years. There is a wealth of information and help on the MB forums. The bad "green" wires came in 1994 for a few years. And, EZL's do NOT explode. (Where does this stuff come from?)
the best car I ever had