2002 Mazda Tribute Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2002 Mazda Tribute
- Which type of catalytic converter does this vehicle have? Is it an in-line type that is removable with bolts? Or is it the attached kind that is connected to the manifold?
- Is it possible to eliminate the catalytic converter and still drive the vehicle?
- What should I expect to pay for a catalytic converter replacement ?
- Help !..... Anybody know EGR problems or catalytic converter replacement ?
- What would cause a brand-new EGR to blowout twice ?
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Tolker Auto Service (240) 233-2581 | 17.49mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- LXT Automotive (301) 679-7303 | 20.28mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
2002 Mazda Tribute Problems
The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor tends to fail. The DPFE sensor monitors function of the EGR valve by measuring pressure changes in the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. Symptoms of a failing DPFE sensor are hesitation or stumbling when driving along with illumination of the Check Engine Light.
If the engine is misfiring, it may be caused by a damaged wire(s) which connect the fuel injectors to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The damaged wire(s) can be repaired or the emission wire harness replaced. A misfire can result in a loss of engine performance and illumination of the Check Engine Light.
If the engine stalls after a cold start (the vehicle has been parked for a while), the idle air control (IAC) valve may be sticking. It may be fouled with carbon buildup. If cleaning the valve does not solve the problem, replacement will be needed.
2002 Mazda Tribute Questions
2002 Mazda Tribute Recalls
Mazda Tribute models equipped with a V6 engine are being recalled because inadequate clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector could result in a stuck throttle when the accelerator pedal is fully or almost fully depressed. This risk exists regardless of whether or not the speed control (cruise control) is used.
A stuck throttle may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop or slow the vehicle, which could result in a crash. Dealers will correct this concern by increasing the engine cover clearance. Remedy parts are expected to be available in mid-August. Until then, dealers will disconnect the speed control cable as an interim remedy if parts are not available at the time of an owner's service appointment. The Mazda recall number is 6812G.
The brake master cylinder reservoir cap can leak brake fluid. Leaking brake fluid can come in contact with the antilock brake system (ABS) module wiring harness. As a result, corrosion can develop in the module electrical connector, which can cause the connector to melt, smoke, or possibly catch fire. Dealers will replace the brake master cylinder reservoir cap and modify the ABS electrical system to correct this concern. The Mazda recall number is 6712A.
2002 Mazda Tribute Reviews
Is anyone willing to send around some sort of petition for mazda to honor certain repairs under a lemon law? I have read numerous complaints online about poor starting, idling, and ignition problems. Here is what is going on. Faulty ignition coils are causing misfires in one or more cylinders and even on occasion causing the coil drivers inside the PCM to malfunction, causing a dead cylinder...
My 2002 Tribute LX has been nothing but trouble after 36k miles. I bought the car new, and now some 7 yrs later i still only have 84k miles on it. around 50k miles my alternator goes out.. $750 because you have to take the axle out to get to it. My brake rotors warp and i have to contantly change me breaks and rotors. IAC had to be replaced or cleaned to prevent poor idle. At 80k miles my t...
I bought my Tribute used in 2010. It already had 140000 miles on it. I have had to replace the brake pads, struts & shocks, which is normal wear. I also need to repair the interior door panels (glue down fabric on the door) However, I love my Tribute, drives great. Couldn't ask for a better vehicle. My neice also has a 2002 Tribute,that she loves also. I would buy another Tribute.