1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Temperature Blend/Recirculation Doors May Fail and Cause AC Problems
- Brake Pulsations Due to Warped Front Brake Rotors
- Front and Rear Differential Pinion Seal and Transfer Case Leaks
- AC Blower May Only Work on High or Melt Connector at Blower
- Loose/Worn Suspension/Steering Components May Cause Wobble in Steering Wheel
- idle speed
- My battery keeps draining and i have a new battery and a good alternator what could be causing this to happen
- my 1999 jeep grand Cherokee limited shutting off when applying brake...
- Hi There ! 97 Grand Cherokee ..214,000 + miles Engine lights on and it reads Massive vacuum leak. I sprayed every vac line with card cleaner and there is no change in engine speed. Except for brakes and tires this car is almost original. New gas cap.
- The Abs light and the check engine light are on
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Problems
Temperature blend and recirculation doors commonly fail, which can cause the AC modes not to change or the temperature to be different on the left and right sides. If replacing blend air doors, a recirculation door, a door link, or a sub-assembly housing, new heating, ventilation and AC (HVAC) sub-assemblies are available that improve reliability.
Due to warped front brake rotors or variations in the thickness of the rotors, brake pulsations may develop. The best method to reduce pulsations is to use an "On the Car" brake lathe (as long as the rotors are suitable for turning). "On the Car" equipment can correct variations (or "runout") in the rotor surfaces because it also corrects variations in other components (e.g. the hub).
Leaks at the front and/or rear differential pinion seal and from the transfer case are common. Leakage from the transfer case normally occurs at the case-mating surfaces and require removal of the transfer case to reseal.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Questions
Not a new problem, had it for years. I disconnect the battery to put the light off long enough to get the car inspected.. Its back on in a very short time though. Thank you ! Don
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Recalls
It has been determined the fuel tank in these vehicles is at risk of leakage during a rear end collision. To correct this concern dealers will inspect the rear of the vehicle and perform one of the following: A Chrysler designed tow hitch will be installed on vehicles not equipped with a tow hitch, provided the condition of the vehicles can support support proper installation. The tow hitch on vehicles already equipped will be inspected and replaced and/or repaired as necessary, again provided the vehicle is sound and can support proper instillation.
Chrysler has recalled 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees because if a driver has not placed the shifter lever fully into the "Park" position and leaves the vehicle running, the vehicle may unexpectedly move rearward. This may result in a crash. Dealers will install a secondary detent system to the floor shifter assembly.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
Biggest piece of CRAP Chrysler has built in a LONG time.
This is the second 1997 Grand Cherokee that I have owned. I searched out the twin to my original one because I enjoyed it so much. I have found that keeping up with small maintenance items keeps this a very comfortable and reliable vehicle. Two minor complaints 1) When using 4 wheel the front-end can seem a bit noisy. Just keep parts lubricated 2) Wish gas mileage was a bit higher. Caut...
Had a lot of 4x4 cars and this is the best handling SUV on Mt. roads I have seen. I have the Orvis model with heavy duty suspension.Engine is extremely good off the line and pulls really heavy trailers. Mileage now is 173k and shows no sign of letting up. It's the magnum v8 and the mpg is not the best but you pay to have fun.