1998 Honda Prelude Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Honda Prelude
- Warped Front Brake Rotors May Cause Vibration When Braking
- Misaligned Fifth Shift Fork May Cause Transmission to Grind on Upshift
- Compressed upper damper spacers may cause clunking noise
- Faulty Master Cylinder Resevoir Filter Can Cause Brake Light After Cold Start
- Doors won't open due to inner handle rod being too long
- Would my clutch or timing have anything to do with it
- What would make my h22a v-tec smoke and sound like i slung a rod
- Can anyone recommend a good scan tool to use with my PC for my 1998 Prelude?
- What can cause P0170 P0172 codes?
- My 1998 Prelude H22A4 Vtech is pulling PO1070 and PO1072 codes. Where do I start
1998 Honda Prelude Problems
The front brake rotors can warp and cause a vibration when braking. The rotors will need to be machined or in cases where they are worn to thin, replaced to correct this issue.
On some models the manual transmission fifth gear can grind on upshift due to a misaligned fifth shift fork. The transmission will have to be removed and disassembled and the fifth gear, the fifth sleeve set and the fifth gear shift fork will have to be replaced to repair this issue.
A clunk noise can develop from the rear due to upper damper spacers compressing over time. Installing new damper collars is required to stop the noise.
1998 Honda Prelude Questions
I've seen ads for OBD interface diagnostic tools. I'm tired of paying mechanics for diagnostics. There are so many to choose from! Any suggestions?
Car runs rich, surges at idle until warm
just changed timing belts. engine runs smooth up to when vtec power should kick in. ran normal before belt change. brand new plugs turning sooty in one day.
1998 Honda Prelude Recalls
Honda has recalled 1997-2001 Prelude, 1999-2002 Accord, and 1999-2000 Acura TL models because the ignition switch interlock may fail. If this happens, the key will be removable before the engine is in the "Park" position, which could cause the vehicle to roll and crash. Dealers will confirm interlock function and vehicles will receive an updated interlock lever free of charge.
The electrical contacts in the ignition switch may be worn. This may cause the engine to stall while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the ignition switch to correct this concern. This recall is expected to begin by June 14, 2002.
The ball joints in the front suspension may prematurely wear out. The ball joints could break in severe circumstances, which may cause an accident. Dealers will replace the front suspension lower ball joints. This recall is expected to begin by May 17, 1999.
1998 Honda Prelude Reviews
Engine could have been the 3.2l vtec
Obviously, I love my 98 Prelude SH since I bought it new and put over 200K miles on it. It's fast and handles very well. That said, I've experience the majority of the "common problems" listed by RepairPal... could be because I've had the car for over a decade though.