2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
- Heating and AC Temperature and Air Delivery Mode Door Actuators May Fail
- Speedometer or Other Instrument Panel Gauge May Work Erratically
- Daytime Running Lights Are Prone to Burning Out
- 4WD Transfer Case Position Sensor/Selector Switch May Fail
- ABS Light Due to Poor Electrical Ground Under the Battery Tray
- Why does my truck shift hard from first into second?
- Battery light stays on. After having my doors open and hood up while cleaning.
- Why is my transmission not switching to 4th gear?
- I understand that a loose ground under the battery holder can cause the ABS bump
- My windows will stop mid way and sometimes will go up on there own. Cause?
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Problems
One or more heater & AC (HVAC) temperature and/or air delivery mode door actuator may fail, resulting in improper temperature or air delivery. If this occurs, fault code(s) should be stored in the HVAC control module which should assist in diagnoses.
The speedometer or other instrument panel gauge may begin to work erratically at times. Our technicians tell us that the instrument cluster must be sent to a repair facility to correct this fault. The warranty has been extended on some of these units to 7 years or 70,000 miles.
The daytime running lights are prone to burning out. Our technicians tell us that the light sockets may show signs of heat damage but usually are OK. Always be sure to use the correct replacement bulb for the best life expectancy. The new bulb recommendation for 2001-2003 models is #4114K (trade number).
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Questions
Drove truck few mile light stayed on. Started it to drive to mechanic, light went out as expected. Following starts Light stays on truck starts and runs fine. Mechanic checked both batteries, claims they are good. They are Optima red top and about 4 years old. Notice voltage meter in dash seems...
I have put A crate engine into this vehicle and now the transmission will not switch to 4th gear. When driving 55-60 my Rpm's are around 2500-3000. When I left off the gas it acts like it upshifts. But when I apply the gas again it goes right back to high Rpm's.I have read up on this issu...
Which battery are they referring to? Have Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Recalls
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Reviews
I bought this truck in August 2001 with 5,500 miles. Now has 152,000 miles. Engine is 8.1 liter with Allison 5speed. Don't think I'll ever part with it. Gets about 14-15mpg empty if driven sensibly, and about 10mpg pulling my 35' 5th Wheel that empty weight is 12,500#. And this truck is a 4x4. With exception of a couple minor sensor issues, It has performed flawlessly.