1994 Ford Thunderbird Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1994 Ford Thunderbird
- The drivers door had a bad crunch sound when opening. I oiled it, now it has a loud snap/click sound and won't stay open. Very concerned about it failing! Where can I take it for repair for a fair price?
- How does one go back to correct info once entered in the history of car?
- Oil drip, blown all over engine, dip stick shows full. I check frequent. What?
- Can you add a 20/50 oil to 4 qts. of 10/40 when changing the oil? 225k miles.
- What would make the engine idle at 2300 rpm's?
1994 Ford Thunderbird Problems
White smoke coming from the exhaust could indicate that a head gasket has blown or there is a cracked cylinder head. Our technicians tell us that removal and inspection of the cylinder heads will be required to confirm a crack is present.
Engine misfire could be caused by worn or broken motor mounts that raise the motor on one side while the vehicle is accelerating. The stress on the engine control wiring harness can cause breaks in the injector or sensor wires, which then causes drivability concerns such as poor fuel economy and engine misfires.
1994 Ford Thunderbird Questions
A mechanic said he adds 1 qt. of 20/50 to 10/40 when he changes oil. I asked about the "no Zink" in the new oil not good for older engines. I've used 10/40 for many years, now. Do you think this is a good idea?
The idle won't come down and it will drive 45mph without touching the gas
1994 Ford Thunderbird Reviews
We purchased this 1994 T-Bird from the original owner in 2001 and it had about 60,000 miles on it and was in beautiful condition. The engine is the 3.8 V-6, and only full synthetic oil was used in the car since new. My wife drove it until 2009 when she got a new car. At that time it had just under 100,000 miles on it. I started using it as my part time commute car for work and put another 5,...
This is the best road car next to a Cadillac. 28 MPG from the very start. Some problems over the years, but made repairs immediately (some under warranty). Have not had repeat problems. Keep it maintained better than the average person. Have every maintenance receipt since I purchased it new. I'll tally up the receipts - see what its cost me over the years.