2002 Ford Ranger Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2002 Ford Ranger
- I have an intermittent starting problem,fuel pump relay not energizing.
- battery light stays on, had the bat, alt, and starter checked. what else is it?
- i have a ford edge ranger 02. when I go up hill loses speed,
- how do i install the crankshaft pulley?
- Still have soft clutch pedal after replacing clutch m/cyl.
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
2002 Ford Ranger Problems
The engine may misfire and/or buck while driving at freeway speeds with no fault code stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This can be caused by an intermittent fault with the camshaft synchronizer assembly. This condition can be diagnosed by monitoring knock sensor data as per Ford service bulletin #05-22-12. Replacement of the synchronizer assembly will be required to correct this concern.
The synchronizer shaft for the camshaft position sensor can cause a loud squeak or chirping noise due to failure of the upper bushing. The noise may be erratic and is usually present when the engine is warm.
The magnet for the camshaft position sensor may fall out of its mount and damage the synchronizers. This causes long crank times when starting the engine and may cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. If this happens, both the magnets and the synchronizers need to be replaced.
2002 Ford Ranger Questions
battery light stays on all the time. Car runs fine, how can i get it to go out.
i removed crankshaft pulley to replace oil seal then found out there was no keyway...can't seem to get it timed correctly
Just replaced the clutch m/cyl and have tried to bleed it several times and still have a soft pedal. Any advice on what I can do?
2002 Ford Ranger Recalls
Ford has recalled certain 2002 Ranger trucks with the FX4 package because the rear axle could fracture under a high torque event, e.g., during hard acceleration from a stop or when a spinning wheel finds traction. This may cause wheel lock up. Dealers will replace the rear axle assembly.
2002 Ford Ranger Reviews
2002ford ranger xlt,has gold color with metal flakes in paint with chrome alond the bottom of cab and ddoor and bed. it has a bed liner and a great sound system. the interior is in excellent shape with non smoking .
I've owned my XL 2.3L 5 speed since it was 2 yrs old with 9k miles. It's now 9 yrs old with 70k miles and has only needed a tune-up and oil changes. Works great, fantastic gas mileage, and still have the original battery!
225,000 miles and can,t bitch. Did the brakes once, clutch twice because of a defective slave cylinder. Replaced the thermostat, that was a shocker $225 and ball joints once. Still has original alt., water pump, battery. I do oil and fluid changes on a regular basis.