1999 Ford Ranger Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1999 Ford Ranger
- My truck bogs down in gear and acts like it has no power
- Won't start ,went off in the freeway, without any warnings I thought it was gas
- rear brakes replaced and bled. fluid will come in but will not go back out.
- My transmission pauses, then slips into first gear. No problem with the other gears. What's wrong?
- I just purchased this Ranger XLT with 168k on it, a bit of oil around top of left side of engine and small amount of blue smoke out exhaust when cold started. Without spending a ton of money, what should I check?
1999 Ford Ranger Problems
The engine may misfire and/or buck while driving at freeway speeds with no fault code stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This can be caused by an intermittent fault with the camshaft synchronizer assembly. This condition can be diagnosed by monitoring knock sensor data as per Ford service bulletin #05-22-12. Replacement of the synchronizer assembly will be required to correct this concern.
The synchronizer shaft for the camshaft position sensor can cause a loud squeak or chirping noise due to failure of the upper bushing. The noise may be erratic and is usually present when the engine is warm.
If you experience cold starting problems, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steadily and run when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.
1999 Ford Ranger Questions
I checked battery, started, fuse all seem normal
1999 Ford Ranger Recalls
Ford has recalled 1998-2000 Electric Ranger EV vehicles due to faulty transaxle attachment bolts. On some vehicles, the bolts may loosen, which may cause a clunking noise and a jerking motion. If the bolts fall out, the transaxle may detach from the vehicle. Dealers will install bolts with a revised design.
1999 Ford Ranger Reviews
have had very good service from this 2wd 3.0L flex fuel vehicle
I just bought my 1999 Ranger 2WD with 99,000 miles, 2 months ago.. It is the bare-bones model, total stripped, a 5 speed with no options, the former owner installed the am/fm cd radio. Vehicle runs great, great on gas, and no complaints at this point in time!