2006 Ford Mustang GT Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2006 Ford Mustang GT
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
2006 Ford Mustang GT Problems
If a squeaking noise is heard while turning the steering wheel, the outer tie rod ends may be worn and should be replaced.
4.0L V6 engines may develop a buzzing type noise from the upper engine area at about 1900 RPM, under light acceleration. Our technicians tell us this can be caused by loose ignition coil bracket bolts. Coil bracket bolts should be checked for the correct torque before further diagnoses is performed.
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
2006 Ford Mustang GT Questions
Brought my '06 GT Vert to dealership for 30k service. Was told there is a slight leak from the tranny. They showed me with the car on the lift and there was some tranny fluid at the bottom of the bellhousing (I also checked a few times after I brought the car home and same thing, though drip...
I have the tranny, just need to swap them out.
Recently replaced battery.
2006 Ford Mustang GT Recalls
This limited regional recall is for vehicles currently registered or first sold in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment the driver and/or passenger airbag inflator could rupture, increasing the risk of personal injury. Ford dealers will replace the affected airbag inflator modules to correct this concern.
2006 Ford Mustang GT Reviews
We bought our 2006 last year from CarMax with 11,000 miles on it. I have had several Mustangs over my 64 years and this one is at the top! The GT is great!! 5 speed manual transmission and 26.5 mph on regular and you do not even know you're already going 85mph. Only problem we have is with the CD player which seems to skip. Ford has not been able to fix the problem even after replacing with ...