2008 Ford F-150 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2008 Ford F-150
- Where is my egr valve located and how do I take apart to clean
- How do I change the power steering pump
- I have replaced the ignition switch&lock. My truck has power but will not start
- Camshaft Positioning sensors replaced and now engine cranks but wont start.
- 2008 F-150, 4.2 V-6, Auto w/air, 171,000 miles. No check engine light, w/miss
2008 Ford F-150 Problems
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
On higher mileage vehicles, one or more EGR orifice in the intake manifold may plug with sludge. This can cause the engine to misfire when first accelerating because too much exhaust gas is directed into the cylinders where the orifice is not plugged. Cleaning the clogged passages should correct this concern.
2008 Ford F-150 Questions
What can I do next?
2008 F-150, 4.2 V-6, Auto w/air, 171,000 miles. No check engine light, no codes. Problem; I will get and engine miss sometimes 2 to 4 or 5 at slow speeds. I may drive 1 to 450 miles and nothing happen. It will miss more often after driving 300 miles at 75 to 80 mph and slowing down to 35 > 45 ...
2008 Ford F-150 Reviews
I BOUGHT MY F150 IN NOV.2008 GOT YEAR END CLOSEOUT DEAL GOOD DEAL I THOUGHT BUT DIDNT KNOW THE FINIANCE RATE IS NOGOTIABLE IF THE DEALER GOT HIGHER%RATE THEY GET THE EXTRA % BUT I LIKE MY F150 ONLY TROUBLE I HAD SO FOR IS THE ARM REST ON DRIVERS DOOR BROKE ALLREADY? BUT,RUNS GREAT DRIVES GREAT,&GET GOOD ON GAS ! BEFORE THIS I HAD A 1991 RANGER HAD ALMOST 300,000MI. ON IT N RUN GOOD WHEN I SO...