2008 Ford F-150 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2008 Ford F-150
- Lights and sounds work in cab, truck won't start.shows battery and engine icons?
- after replacing alternator truck wont start. Why
- Do I need to replace all 4 ball joints at the same time ?
- how much to replace timing chain no my f-150 4.2L
- how do I replace an intake manifold on a 2008 Ford F150 4.6 liter motor
2008 Ford F-150 Problems
There is a technical service bulletin for the V8 engines regarding a possible problem with the spark plug being ejected from the cylinder head, damaging the threads in the spark plug hole. If the vehicle is under warranty, cylinder head replacement is recommended. If the vehicle is out of warranty, Ford authorized the use of a specific thread insert to repair the head.
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
On higher mileage vehicles, one or more EGR orifice in the intake manifold may plug with sludge. This can cause the engine to misfire when first accelerating because too much exhaust gas is directed into the cylinders where the orifice is not plugged. Cleaning the clogged passages should correct this concern.
2008 Ford F-150 Questions
What kind of gaskets will I need. I had Network Automotive charge me $600 to replace spark plugs and Ignition coil. Still had engine light. Horne Ford replace auto-light plugs with Ford plugs and charged me $500 then said, I had a cracked intake manifold. They want $560 for manifold and $600 or m...
2008 Ford F-150 Reviews
I BOUGHT MY F150 IN NOV.2008 GOT YEAR END CLOSEOUT DEAL GOOD DEAL I THOUGHT BUT DIDNT KNOW THE FINIANCE RATE IS NOGOTIABLE IF THE DEALER GOT HIGHER%RATE THEY GET THE EXTRA % BUT I LIKE MY F150 ONLY TROUBLE I HAD SO FOR IS THE ARM REST ON DRIVERS DOOR BROKE ALLREADY? BUT,RUNS GREAT DRIVES GREAT,&GET GOOD ON GAS ! BEFORE THIS I HAD A 1991 RANGER HAD ALMOST 300,000MI. ON IT N RUN GOOD WHEN I SO...