2004 Ford F-150 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2004 Ford F-150
- I got 2004 ford 150 xl hertiage model. code 171,174 and 2006 comes up when
- no right or left signal lights will work fuses good
- Low oil pressure light keeps coming on and it turns off when stop at a red light
- code bank 1 and 2.so i replaced oxygen sensers, now bank 3 and running lean,
- the pcm fuse keeps blowing causing the truck to shut off while driving.
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
- Preferred Automotive (301) 710-5186 | 20.18mi
2004 Ford F-150 Problems
An illuminated Check Engine Light could indicate that one or more of the ignition coils has failed due to excessive spark plug gap. To fix this problem, the ignition coils that have failed, the spark plugs, and all coil boots should be replaced.
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
2004 Ford F-150 Questions
My truck, the f150 is giving me problems. Last thursday it wouldn't turn on. So i got someone to jump start it. It worked. So when i got home that day I switch the ford expedition battery to the f150 till I buy a new battery for it. The problem now is that when I stop at a red light and...
while driving,giving gas it is bogging down and missing, get's a little better and does it again. have had it in the shop with no luck, just cost a lot of money.
Does anyone know why this fuse would keep blowing out.
2004 Ford F-150 Recalls
Vehicles sold or currently registered in states using corrosive chemicals to de-ice the roads may have fuel tank straps that can rust prematurely and fail. If the fuel tank were to shift as a result of a broken strap, the fuel lines could separate or the fuel tank could contact the ground. In either case, a fuel leak could develop, increasing the risk of a fire. Dealers will replace the fuel tank straps with straps that have increased corrosion protection. Early in the campaign, if replacement straps are not available, dealers may install a cable support under the strap as an interim repair or a steel reinforcement over the existing strap as a permanent repair. This recall is expected to begin September 12, 2011. The Ford recall number is 11S21.
The clock spring jumper wire behind the driver's air bag may come into contact with the lower horn plate, resulting in damage to the wiring. If this occurs, the air bag warning light may illuminate or the driver's air bag could deploy unexpectedly, increasing the risk of injury or a loss of vehicle control. Dealers will replace the jumper wire with a new design, which includes a protective mesh cover. This recall is expected to begin on February 28, 2011.
Ford has recalled certain 2004 F150 trucks for a concern with the manufacturing of the fuel tank. Fuel may permeate the liner of the tank, causing an odor, a leak, or a Check Engine Light. Leaking fuel and vapors are flammable and hazardous. Dealers will replace affected fuel tanks.
2004 Ford F-150 Reviews
I absolutely hate this truck, first ford i have owned (all others being Chevrolets) and i have had nothing but bad luck and mechanical failure nightmares with this piece. This truck suspension is carp my two axel flat bed trailer with two quads squat it. The TRITON V8 5.4L is a JOKE, my Vortec V6 s-10 will drag this thing around. The Interior is the cheapest yet, i am a builder and most of my t...
This has been a very comfortable and quiet vehicle. It does eat brakes & rotors fast but it is very heavy and well built so worth it over the long haul.
I bot new in Sep 2003. Just sold with 141,000,mostly trouble free miles. 5.4, XLT, Super Cab, 4x4. MPG: 9-11 city, 14-15 highway. Had cab high cap entire time, installed cat back duals in 2005. Greatest truck I've ever owned or driven. Can't say enough about it.