2008 Ford Explorer Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2008 Ford Explorer
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
2008 Ford Explorer Problems
A failed heater blend door or actuator can cause the temperature control for the HVAC system to stop working. A clicking sound from the dash area would commonly indicate an actuator fault. If the heater gets stuck on the hottest setting, the heater blend door may be broken requiring replacement of the heater box to repair the issue.
My 2008 Explorer radiator failed on its own. I later noticed that my fan will always run trying to keep up with the heat generated. I also had to keep topping coolant. On making a little research, i found out that its a common problem with 2006 thru 2008 ford explorer and so many people had replaced their radiator. The cost of doing this can set you back almost a thousand bucks. I did replace the leaking radiator along with the reservoir and t...
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
2008 Ford Explorer Questions
when truck sits for awhile, some air comes through for a short while
How much can I expect to pay for the replacement of my ac vacuum hoses?
The first two speeds of the interior fan are inop. Looking at an online schematic
There's a relay inline and I am trying to find its location
2008 Ford Explorer Reviews
lots of problems with sensors, always has to have diagnostics run at $400 a pop, before ford will repair anything, this is a model NOT TO BUY, unless you have lots of money every time the sensors screw up, so far 5 have gone on this, because it is over the mileage ford are not interested, minimum i have had to spend on each repair is over $1500, but i give credit it is a dream to drive and comf...
I bought this SUV for it's towing capacity and the 4X4 and it really does great in these areas. It also drives well and has a comfortable ride for an SUV. Rear corner blind spots are an issue but can be overcome by adjusting the side view mirrors appropriately. High beams point too high so they are less effective than they could be. Brakes are a bit harder to use and don't have the feel of ...
PCM fuse keeps blowing...first time while under warranty but they didn't document it under warranty, now that we are over warranty by 4000 miles, it happened again and they said the whole wiring harness was melted and would cost $1800 to fix....