2002 Ford Explorer Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2002 Ford Explorer
- transmission started to slip severely. stopped, transfluid coated undercarriage.
- Thermostat replaced, still overheating, no leaks found when pressure tested-help
- When I turn the hot/cold controler to hot I hear a continuous clicking noise
- How do I repair the heater blend door on my 2002 ford explorer
- How extensive of a repair is this and about how much could this run
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
2002 Ford Explorer Problems
A cosmetic crack may develop on the plastic liftgate trim panel. Ford has released a service procedure to replace the applique without damage the the liftgate glass.
A failed heater blend door or actuator can cause the temperature control for the HVAC system to stop working. A clicking sound from the dash area would commonly indicate an actuator fault. If the heater gets stuck on the hottest setting, the heater blend door may be broken requiring replacement of the heater box to repair the issue.
A rattling noise from the engine may indicate that the timing chain cassette is worn. Our technicians tell us that installing an updated cassette and timing chain tensioner should correct this concern.
2002 Ford Explorer Questions
when trans cool it doesnt slip or blow fluid . after hot slips and blows fluid.when this begins to happen trans makes a slight roaring sound
2002 Ford Explorer Recalls
Ford has recalled certain 2002-2003 model year Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer vehicles for possible issues with the liftgate glass strut brackets and glass hinges. On certain vehicles, the liftgate glass strut may come off or the hinge may fracture. This can cause the glass to fall from the liftgate, which may lead to personal injury. Dealers will replace the liftgate glass strut brackets and glass hinges.
The courtesy lamps on affected running boards may overheat when exposed to moisture and road salt. Overheating may cause the lamps and boards to melt or start a fire. Dealers will replace the wiring harness for these running boards.
Ford recalled certain 2002 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles to inspect the sidewalls of the equipped tires for the presence of horizontal cuts on the edge of the tread. These cuts could lead to premature tire failure. Dealers will inspect the tires for cuts and replace affected tires.
2002 Ford Explorer Reviews
$3500 tranny, replace bearing all four 2 time $1000 rack and pinon $1000 rear heater and ac dont work universal joint gtoing bad $600 tunup replace rotart all four twice 1000 dollars now my check egine light comes on window is sticking up and down in the cold and many more i just cant think of at the moment this car is a money pit peace of jumk and i would never ever by ford agian for reps a...
Let me start off by saying ford explorers and their engineers suck. Who ever designed this engine shouldn't be an engineer. I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v6 sohc this pos has been the worst Suv or automobile I have ever owned. Ford should have gone for bankruptcy instead of Chrysler. Back to my POS I have had this car for four years and put money after money into this Suv . First the tranny...
Transmission died at 78K. Ac/heater door not working. Idles rough and starts rough. Heater door and Transmission issues should have been recalled!