2001 Ford Explorer Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2001 Ford Explorer
- Do you have to remove intake & or plenum to change both valve cover gaskets?
- Why does my truck squeak while driving or stopped and turning the steering wheel
- why can't I always accelerate from a slower speed.
- how much time/cost should it take to replace an abs control module
- check engine light on...code reader says running lean..
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
2001 Ford Explorer Problems
A failed heater blend door or actuator can cause the temperature control for the HVAC system to stop working. A clicking sound from the dash area would commonly indicate an actuator fault. If the heater gets stuck on the hottest setting, the heater blend door may be broken requiring replacement of the heater box to repair the issue.
The intake manifold O-ring gaskets commonly leak, causing stalling and poor idle quality; the Check Engine Light will illuminate.
A rattling noise from the engine may indicate that the timing chain cassette is worn. Our technicians tell us that installing an updated cassette and timing chain tensioner should correct this concern.
2001 Ford Explorer Questions
What else should i be aware of? EGR stopped up/frozen,any bolts thst like to break or strip, etc.
The noise is coming from the front passenager side, i don't know if its the balljoints or something else?
idles hard, wants to stall when I come to a stop and recently will not speed up when I try to accelerate. the check engine light has been on for months after adding a gas line anti-freeze.
2001 Ford Explorer Recalls
Ford has recalled certain 1998-2002 Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac, and Mercury Mountaineer vehicles for an issue with the driver's seat recliner mechanism. The upper bolt that attaches the recliner mechanism to the seat back frame could fracture. If this happens, the seat back could fall backward and disrupt the driver, possibly causing an accident. Dealers will replace the upper bolt and, on some vehicles, replace a lower bolt as well.
Ford has recalled certain 1999-2001 Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac, and Mercury Mountaineer vehicles for a possible binding speed control cable. If the cable binds, throttle return could be affected, causing a sticking accelerator. Dealers will inspect the cable and replace it if necessary.
2001 Ford Explorer Reviews
I love this car. The reliability and dependability are without a doubt the best characteristics of this make and model. Gas milage isn't great, 19mpg (everywhere) if you don't put your foot in it to often. Brakes (though they were totally replaced before I purchased it) the best but don't make any sudden moves it will flip. Lights always work (all of them) smoging isn't a problem. I have had t...
had to replace the swithch on the master cylinder due to a recall for possible fire hazard. had to repace the fuel pump-mechanic said it was because i ran the gas level in the tank get to low to often-evidently the gas cools the pump. had to replace the back window wiper twice, the cd player doesn't work and it has five cd's stuci in it.the left front wheel cylinder quit working causing the l...