2008 Ford Expedition Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2008 Ford Expedition
- can not shift out of park
- Is it safe to bypass a thermostat in the tranny?? Took it for a service at Mr Lube and the tech didn't think there was a thermostat in it. In the end he had to bypass it or it'd take 3 hours to fix. He deadened a line. Is this okay or should I be worried
- What causes the car to shudder/shake, like an earthquake?
- My truck was blowing heat yesterday and now on cold day blowing cold air.
- Why won't the drivers seat go up or down?
2008 Ford Expedition Problems
An illuminated Check Engine Light could indicate that one or more of the ignition coils has failed due to excessive spark plug gap. To fix this problem, the ignition coils that have failed, the spark plugs, and all coil boots should be replaced.
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
2008 Ford Expedition Questions
This is the first time this has happened. We recently replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing. It was very cold this morning but even after the temperature guage was reading that the engine was warmed up it still blows cold air. I put a mixture of 50/50 antifreeze in the radiator. What cou...
I have a fault like that comes up on my panel. It says throttle control system. Where is it what is it?
2008 Ford Expedition Recalls
On 158 vehicles intended for limousine service, the tire pressure monitoring system may not have been properly calibrated. As a result, the tire pressure warning light will not illuminate as expected. Dealers will reconfigure the tire pressure monitor system thresholds to the appropriate pressures. This recall is scheduled to begin on April 23, 2008. The Ford recall number is 08C03.
The interior door handles have return springs that may fracture, which can prevent the handles from returning to the closed position. In an accident, the door may open, which could result in injury to occupants. Dealers will replace the interior door handle springs on the side doors. The Ford recall number is 08S03. This recall began on March 5, 2008.
Certain continental automotive ABS and ESC control modules installed in these recalled vehicles may have been assembled with extra check balls. The extra balls can restrict the flow of brake fluid and cause a reduction of braking force. Dealers will make the necessary repairs to correct this concern.
2008 Ford Expedition Reviews
The vehicle is a tank and that is what I wanted, but it is a very unsophisticated tank. Very crude and old technology like the tail lights that are "vented" to keep them from over heating and like the engine with old push rod design and crude fuel injection in the throttle body. Engineering is all slap on changes and no system redesign to "integrate" changes.
I have an EL with the 18" wheels. I should have gotten the 20". The handling on this boat leaves a lot to be desired. I mean for emergency purposes, not for sporty driving! Everything is satisfactory, but nothing is exceptional. The passenger front sitting position is uncomfortable with the dash at the leg area. The drive train is ok - the transmission can hunt, clunk and extend a gear to...