2005 Ford Expedition Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2005 Ford Expedition
- Electronic Throttle
- Code 0116 Coolant Temp, Where is it? Does it have one? Is CHT sensor the same?
- How can i quiet noisy lifters in a 2005 expedition
- Hesitation when already at highway speed. Occasional CEL flash but stops and no codes stored.
- keyless pad on door stopped working now radio stopped working
2005 Ford Expedition Problems
An illuminated Check Engine Light could indicate that one or more of the ignition coils has failed due to excessive spark plug gap. To fix this problem, the ignition coils that have failed, the spark plugs, and all coil boots should be replaced.
Our technicians tell us the spark plugs in this engine can be very difficult to remove. Ford has issued a service bulletin (08-7-6) to address this issue, which includes a recommended procedure on how to remove the plugs. Failure to follow the recommended procedure can result in the one or more spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder head.
The recommend procedure is as follows. Using this procedure will greatly reduce the chance of breaking a spark plug.
1. Break the spark plugs loose when the engine is warm.
2. Turn each plug 1/8 to 1/4 turn and soak the treads with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner or a quality penetrating oil. Do not try to remove the plugs at this time.
3. Let the threads soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. After the soak period, tighten and loosen each spark plug, working it back and forth until the turning effort is reduced. Then, you can remove the spark plug.
There are special tools available to remove the broken spark plugs and repair shops will often charge additional labor time, over and above the quoted spark plug replacement cost, for the removal of each broken spark plug.
2005 Ford Expedition Questions
Looked on line. No help. Auto zone appears to says coolant and cylinder head temp sensor the same & located under the left Manifold intake. Coolant temp not on Thermostats housing or upper rad hose areas nor under the alternator housing left side. I have purchased both coolant and CHT sensors...
Dreaded P0300 random misfire code end of May. Replaced all w/Ford plugs/coils, system check and code cleared mid June but code came back on last week. Just ran 44k fuel injector cleaner, now told could be mass air flow sensor.
2005 Ford Expedition Reviews
I guess if you look at reviews at other websites, the 2005 Ford Expedition was a very good, reliable large SUV. Usually around 4stars+. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone- PROS: great ride, comfort, handling above average for a large SUV, reliable transportation, good HVAC, engine/drivetrai plenty of power, no more wear on tires than the norm. Maybe since we have the Eddie Bauer edition i...
I have an 05 Ford eddie bauer expedition my advice is dont buy one- This truck has had more problems than all the vechicles i ever owned combined- the transmission , steering column ,front axle,all were replaced before 70,000 miles and these are just the things i could think of off the top of my head -window motors,bearings,belts,ball joint are just some of the others it now has 90,000 miles on...
Was thrilled to finally get my 05 Expedition limited 6 months ago w/ 74k miles. But noticed shortly thereafter a shudder when accelerating while in overdrive. Now starting to shudder in 3rd also, and emission light, which started going on intermittently, just came on full time last time I drove it- 4 days ago. Any help appreciated.