1998 Ford Crown Victoria Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Ford Crown Victoria
- Intake Manifold May Crack Leaking Coolant Behind the Alternator
- EVP Sensor Failure May Cause Drivability/Fuel Economy Issues
- Police/Fleet/Natural Gas Models May Experience Lower Ball Joint Wear
- Heater Hose Outlet May Leak Coolant at Back of Intake Manifold
- Oil May Leak Onto Starter From Passenger-Side Head Gasket
- My Battery died and now I cant open the doors even with the key. WTH?
- why does dash lights come on and off?
- Transmission only works in 2nd, and Reverse. DTC says BOTH shift solenoids bad.
- I own a 1998 ford crown Victoria and when ever i try to accelerate it is slow
- What fuel injector seal kit and how do i install it in my police interceptor car
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Problems
The composite (plastic) intake manifold may crack near the thermostat housing and cause a coolant leak. Ford released an updated manifold that was reinforced to prevent a recurrence. No recall was issued for this problem but Ford did extend the warranty to seven years on some models from the date of purchase.
The EGR valve position (EVP) sensor can fail on this vehicle. The EVP sensor measures the EGR valve position and transmits the date to the engine control computer. If it fails, drivability and fuel economy can suffer, the Check Engine Light will commonly illuminate.
Certain police, fleet, and natural gas models may experience lower ball joint wear, requiring replacement of the front ball joints. Ford has issued a recall on certain vehicles for this condition. Please contact your local dealer for more information.
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Questions
Can I get the door open so I can open the hood and replace the battery?
Also engine seems to slow down when the lights on dash start going on and off?
I have a '98 CVPI with a rebuilt 4R70W. The tranny came out of another '98 CVPI. It was great for a good long while. I was on my way home a week ago, and I noticed that it seemed to be perpetually in second gear and it displayed a trouble code. I have found out since that this is an in...