1996 Ford Crown Victoria Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Ford Crown Victoria
- Intake Manifold May Crack Leaking Coolant Behind the Alternator
- EVP Sensor Failure May Cause Drivability/Fuel Economy Issues
- Police/Fleet/Natural Gas Models May Experience Lower Ball Joint Wear
- Oil May Leak Onto Starter From Passenger-Side Head Gasket
- Heater Hose Outlet May Leak Coolant at Back of Intake Manifold
- Why is my car stalling randomly when driven around town?
- Where do I find: air bag backup power supply voltage booster?
- when you change the steering column. Do you have to program it?
- 1996 ford crown vic won't shift into park. All other gears work fine.
- How do you determine if your Actuator, or heater temperature control, is bad.
1996 Ford Crown Victoria Problems
The composite (plastic) intake manifold may crack near the thermostat housing and cause a coolant leak. Ford released an updated manifold that was reinforced to prevent a recurrence. No recall was issued for this problem but Ford did extend the warranty to seven years on some models from the date of purchase.
The EGR valve position (EVP) sensor can fail on this vehicle. The EVP sensor measures the EGR valve position and transmits the date to the engine control computer. If it fails, drivability and fuel economy can suffer, the Check Engine Light will commonly illuminate.
Certain police, fleet, and natural gas models may experience lower ball joint wear, requiring replacement of the front ball joints. Ford has issued a recall on certain vehicles for this condition. Please contact your local dealer for more information.
1996 Ford Crown Victoria Questions
Had to replace broken steering column shift tube. Had to take column out and reinstall. Everything else OK but air bag light flashes code: 52. Before I did this, I disconnected battery and removed # 10 fuse under dash. Flashing code says the above part has a failure. Does it need replacement?
need to replace the steering column on my 96 Crown Vic
all other gears work fine. Just no park?