2002 BMW 540i Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2002 BMW 540i
- Will the radiator from a 1997 540i fit a 2002 540i?
- My brake lights stays on even after making sure all bulbs are good.
- Coolant sensor broke and leaked on to wiring harness, control harness/module.
- Why does my alarm system come on randomly with no one near the car?
- Why does my cruise control only work at random times?
2002 BMW 540i Problems
Leaks are known to develop in the cooling system. It is common to see more than one part recommended for repair/replacement due to overlapping labor and the use of many plastic parts in the system.
The blower final stage fan resistor is known to fail. Symptoms are the heater fan speed varies regardless of the setting, the fan will not turn off when the car is switched off, or the fan will not switch on at all.
2002 BMW 540i Questions
My 2002 540i has 140K miles and have had it 4 years. It recently shut down on me and a place in Kennesaw, GA specializing in BMW's indicated the coolant sensor broke and leaked fluid into the harness wires, control harness and module needing to replace all of it totaling about $3K with labor...
2002 BMW 540i Reviews
We purchased are Bimmer in 2007 with 87,500 mls on it. A year later I replaced the alternator and the radiator. We went on one trip in it to Tampa, Fl and it handled superb. Overall we are happy with our 540i.