Newest Reviews:
  • 1997 Nissan Maxima Good car, only complaint is I've had to replace the starter 3 times.
  • 2004 Toyota Matrix Good gas mileage for a crossover vehicle.
  • 2003 Toyota RAV4 I bought my Toyota RAV4 back in 2003. This has been an efficient commuter vehicle as well as a comfortable ride for long trips to South California. With its regular maintenance; oil and air filter changes, brakes and battery, no major repairs after more than 100,000 miles. One detail is that both front door motors actuators broke down one after the other.
  • 2001 Toyota Solara Minor engine issues but good overall.
  • 1997 Mazda 626 Bang for buck, its not a bad car. Transmission isn't the brightest during low speed driving. Not a cornering car, drag racing machine or intended for drifting. As a "point a to b" car, it will do the job. Cold a/c, smooth and quite engine. Didn't like the odd size 6x8 speakers, but minor fix for sound enthusiasts.
  • 2004 Jaguar X-Type Excellent on the highway. Excellent steering. Although I don't use them,the seat heater on the passenger side never quite heated up like on the drivers side, had checked, still doesn't work as well.
  • 2004 Chevrolet Malibu This car has a plethora of issues. Steering system has failed 3 times, engine has significant trouble starting without any ability to diagnose, transmission struggles to downshift (unacceptable for only 4 gears), brakes need to be replaced every 15,000 miles, suspension gets very loose after 50,000 miles, electric release trunk works when it feels like it, side mirrors don't work after 60,000 miles, driver window auto-down doesn't work after 60,000 miles. Does drive well on the highway and gets excellent fuel economy for having a large V6 engine. Engine is smooth and torquey. I would not recommend this vehicle.
  • 2002 Pontiac Bonneville This is my last Pontiac, I'm trading it in on a Camry. I bought Pontiac's top of the line, the Bonneville. I bought the SE version. The engine has a great sound, and the acceleration is excellent. I bought it with 22k miles on it, and in 7 years, I have it up to 58k miles on it. In that time, I've replaced 2 window motors, the intake manifold, the strut mounts, wheel bearings, and the secondary steering shaft twice, and the brakes more times than I should have had to given the age and miles. The steering shortly after I bought it got to be creaky. It pretty much has stayed that way. The buttons on the interior are cheap, and the paint has worn off the radio buttons. There are a couple of rattles on the interior. The car handles great, rides very well, and has plenty of power. I like the looks, it's just typical of GM, lots of promise with poor execution.
  • 1997 Saturn SW2 Quirky, but very reliable, second owner.
  • 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada Have owned this vehicle for just over a year. Have replaced the mass air flow sensor (very expensive), have replaced the front passenger side hub, Twice, and the all wheel drive blows fuses, mechanic cant even figure that one out. Overall, i like the suv, but the frame is crooked and have spent alot of money on this vehicle. scale of 1-10 i would rate it a 7.
  • 1995 Audi A6 Purchased: June '08 History: (unknown) probably I'm 3rd owner. Subjective: This is a reliable car that handles well, and has good highway passing power. I turn car off in line-ups and long (2 minute) waits. Diagnostics: I have certified Audi shop diagnostic workup (for suggested work) LIKE: Reliability. Power. Handling. DON'T LIKE: Not my style. Prefer 4WD.
  • 1996 Suzuki Esteem Not a bad car. It's lasted for a while.
  • 2002 Saturn L300 so i bought a saturn at the behest of at least 5 of my friends telling me i should. now i totally regret it. in the one year since ive bought it, the main computer needed replaced, tie rod needed replaced, there's problems with the dashlights, some have completely stopped working, doesnt start in exteme cold, had ignition problems, and now this week i found out i have to get the thermostat replaced, which of course is not covered under the warranty-so if your thinking about buying this car--DON'T.
  • 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK430 I don't have one of these cars, but I was looking into one that is on craigslist for a good price, but after seeing all the common problems you guys note, maybe there's a reason they are trying to get rid of it. Thanks for the heads up, your service may have saved me a big headache! Sure is a nice looking car though!
  • 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon My VW Vanagon had to have the cylinder heads replaced and the water pump too. The cylinder heads were pitted and leaking coolant, very expensive repair! Other than those problems it's been reliable and it offers a unique driving experience!
  • 1990 Hyundai Excel I had my Hyundai Excel for 6 years. It was generally a good car, but of course not as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. It ran great with very minimal problems and few repairs, just a few with the alternator shorting out, but that was easy and inexpensive to fix. After 100,000 miles, all hell broke loose. I have to admit that I drove the car pretty hard, but still this car is just not designed to go much longer than 100K miles. If I had sold it at 100K miles, I would have had only a great experience, so take the following with a grain of salt, and don't buy one of these with high miles on it! At about 105K miles, the transmission went out and had to be rebuilt. The valve cover gasket was leaking oil, but I never got that fixed, as it still ran as long as I added some oil every now and then. Then the air conditioning quit working. After that, it started over-heating. On any hot day, it would boil over and I used to keep gallons of water in the trunck so I was prepared. Of course, when it boils over, it leaves a hard water scale residue inside the motor cooling passages, so with each time it gets a little worse. This is a good inexpensive car which will serve you well as long as it doesn't have high miles, which is fair given the low cost. Good car; buy it young and don't drive it too long.
  • 1993 Mazda MX-6 I had my Mazda MX6 for a long time and generally loved it. The interior body styling was very modern and ergonomic, especially when comparing it to other cars of the same age. The leather seat were really comfortable. The V6 motor was plenty powerful and generally reliable. My MX-6 needed the auto repair shop more often than a Honda or Toyota, but it was still pretty reliable, and I didn't have any repairs that were very expensive. The brakes worked great, except that I always seemed to warp the brake rotors after a while, so I had some high-performance drilled rotors installed, which were only a little more $ than the stock ones. Those helped A LOT, and I didn't get any vibrations after that. One thing about the brakes, if you need to replace the master cylinder, don't let the shop use a reconditioned part; make them put a new one in. I had 3 (!) reconditioned ones fail, and it was a nightmare, with my brakes freezing on in the middle of nowhere. I marked down the drivetrain a little because while the manual 5 speed transmission was reliable, it had a clunky feeling to it - never liked that transmission. Also the sliders for the heater and air conditioning temperature control on the dashboard didn't really work right, so basically the heat was on or off, without much ability to adjust it to a comfortable "middle" setting. All in all though, I enjoyed this car a lot. The motor was reviewed in the automotive press as one of the best and smoothest V6s ever made, and it was a pleasure to drive the manual 5 speed on curvey roads. My favorite was 3rd gear, which would pull all the way up from 15mph to 60mph. Fun! Also, the styling seems to age well, and still looks good all these years later. Great car.
  • 2005 Toyota 4Runner I had my Toyota 4Runner for many years and it was a great car that generally needed little time at the repair shop. The one exception was the head gasket issue with the V6 motor. The V6 version has too small a border between the piston and water jacket in one spot, and after a while it blows out the head gasket. I blew two head gaskets, and each one cost $2500-$4000 to fix. Definitely don't go to just any shop to get this work done, as it's a complex job and if they don't do it right, they can screw up lots of other stuff on the car. If you really want a 4Runner that will last a long time, get the 4 cylinder version. It doesn't have the head gasket problem like the V6. Beyond that, the car is a trooper, rinning over 300,000 miles with no issues. The 2005 4Runner was back when in still had sightly stiff truck-like suspension - hard for long drives - but newer versions ride more like a car. All-in-all, great car.
  • 2001 Saab 9-5 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero I've just purchased this car, knowing it had some maintenance issues. At this point, they are more expensive than I'd anticipated (mainly due to getting ripped off by a shop I believe.) Still, with the repairs and initial cost of the vehicle, I'm under blue book. This car is a blast to drive. I'm coming from a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE. This has the larger 2.3T engine that the Viggen has. This car has all the power you'll ever need while cruising along. Need to pass someone immediately, it's there. Need to change lanes between cars that are moving faster, no problem. The suspension is tight and holds well in the curves, but not so tight that the ride is terribly rough (for me anyway, I do like to feel the road while driving though.) The interior quality of this car is much nicer than my 1999 9-3. It has many of the same issues that other Saabs of this era have. SID pixels going out for example(easy fixes for this, although they theoretically are temporary.) So far I've had to replace a water pump at 114,000 miles ($1000 job for me, it really shouldn't be that high.) Also, the DIC is giving me error codes. I've got a replacement, but going through the records, I see it was replaced less than 25,000 miles ago. So this may not be the problem, or may take more research. Overall, if you enjoy Saabs, I think you'll probably really like this car. If you're used to driving a Honda or something very generic, you may have a hard time putting up with the maintenance and issues. I for one, really enjoy the experience this car offers when it is on the road; that overcomes any bad experience with the brand or vehicle maintenance-wise.
  • 2002 Isuzu Trooper Rugged 4x4 vehicle with excellent handling in snow and off road. Because Isuzu calls for routine differential service every 15,000 miles, routine service of the 4x4 Trooper is very expensive.
  • 2006 Kia Sportage WE HAVE A 2.OLTS DIESEL. EXCELLENT, GOOF FINISHED, STABILTYAND POWERFUL. LOVE THEM
  • 1991 Saab 900 My experience with my Saab 900 SPG was really good. It looked and handled really good. I had the water pump fail but otherwise I had few problems before I sold it for a bigger car. I miss it!
  • 2001 Saturn LW200 We had one of these for a couple years and had tons of problems. When the timing chain broke that was the last straw. Never again!
  • 2003 Mini Cooper Handles and brakes really well. Super fun to drive, however I did have the automatic transmission failure that is mentioned here, fortunately it was still under warranty. Gotta love the great mileage too!
  • 1990 Volvo 240 I had too many problems with my Volvo 240 wagon. It had starting problems, the ball joints wore out, and the a/c blower fan didn't work. I only had it for a few months and had to sell it, I couldn't find a good mechanic too fix the starting problems.
  • 2003 Honda Element I have 95,000 miles on my 2003 Element and I love it. I take it everywhere, in the dirt, snow and mud and it has been great. I can fit a lot of stuff in it for camping and fishing and it cleans out easily. I had a problem with the shocks but Honda replaced them for free! I will buy another Honda!
  • 1999 Honda Accord I love my Accord, I'm the second owner and have put over 100k miles on it without incident. I had one issue at about 60k total miles with the engine computer however it was under warranty and was replaced free of charge. Otherwise I have had no real problems with it despite being rear-ended on the freeway a few years ago the car looks and drives like new with over 140k miles (from SF to LA to Vegas to Tahoe) on it. Love it.
  • 2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320 Car drives really well. It's great on snow and ice. Mine has 100,000 miles on it now and it's running strong. I would definitely buy another one. My nit-picky comments are that the brakes wear down quickly, the AC vent has always had a slight rattle in it that they can't seem to fix, and a plastic trim piece on the rear corner of the car has cracked twice. The engine runs well, but it does burn a quart of oil every 5-7,000 miles. Apparently this is not unusual for this model.
  • 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo i purchased this car 2 years ago-spent @ $1000 getting it into shape and have driven it with no problems since. however, i didn't pass my emissions test and now am waiting to see what i need to repair it and if it is worth it.......
  • 1994 Buick Century 11 years old when i got it, 65000 miles. 3 years and 30000 miles later its holding well, regular maintenance with a few other repairs