Newest Reviews:
  • 2001 BMW 330Ci This car looks great, and handles great. But it comes with a HUGE maintanence cost. I drop at least $2000 a year on one thing or the other. Don't get the sports package if you live on a road that has even a few bumps on it. The shocks die out fast, and the car feels really unstable after that.
  • 1999 Saturn SC1 I bought this car brand new so I’ve had it for 10 years. It’s the 2nd Saturn I’ve bought. The first I had for 8 years, so yes I am a loyal Saturn driver. This one is just shy of 100,000 miles and I believe with good maintenance it will double that. (Mine looks like the one in the photo, but the photo does not do it justice!!) PROS: looks good, still sporty looking, body has no rust because of the plastic panels Saturn used back then, interior is good, third door still gets comments and also makes it easy to get in and out of the small back seat. Seats are OK, and leg room in the front is Ok. As far as the engine goes, still runs well with a few faults which I’ll get to. All this along with Saturn’s well known customer service… PLEASE don’t close Saturn down GM, or at least let them become an independent like they started out! (they were better back then anyway!!!) Handles well, is a fun car to drive. CONS: Electrical system… this is just a quirky thing about this car. I’ve was surprised when my horn went. They told me it wore out. I thought that weird until I read that this was a well know problem with this model. Ok I can live without a horn. The other weird thing was some wires in the steering column corroded and the car was a “hit and miss” with starting. This was when it was almost 9 years old so nothing totally unheard of but I’ve never heard of it before. Starter being replaced yes, but wires?? Then again it only cost $80 to replace it. Starter would’ve been a lot more. The AC went out a couple of years ago. A piece on the unit itself came loose and just started rattling. I thought it was falling apart. Saturn rerouted my accessory belt and for $60 it’s fixed. NO AC, but I live in the north and don’t drive that much. I can live without it. My most recent weird electrical thing is the passenger window. Stuck in the down position I had to get it up, and I thought just a switch was out but no, it was motor that had “seized” and they had to replace it for $300 and I still can’t use it since it was an additional $200 to fix the switch. The most recent was the manifold started to leak and was bad and the parts holding it in were bad too. All toll: $650. I know the Saturn dealership I go to saved me money on it, but still something I’ve never heard of and I’ve owned some clunkers in my day. All this may sound like I hate the car but I don’t. It’s been paid for years, and has caused me little pain. Other then the above I say for 10 years and 100,000 that’s pretty good. It gets me where I want to go safely and has decent gas mileage. I still think it looks nice and am proud to own it. If you can find one of the SCs and get a good price on them you can’t go wrong.
  • 2000 Porsche 911 A very good car for the track as well as the road. Base model torque to weight ratio is awesome and turbo is usually too much car for most people to handle. The engine is normally aspirated and water cooled. The power assist steering can require a bit getting used to if one is used to more road feedback at lower speeds. Road noise may be dampened substantially with Bridgestones or softer make vs. Michelin's (typically wear out at 10k miles and cost ~ $1000 to replace for all four). Typical issues are oil leaks from rear main seals (connecting point between tranny & engine) to me, its classified more as a nuisance than a must fix (so long as leaks are minor as in most cases). Other than that, keep the engine fully oiled with Synthetic and change out 8k miles & change the gearbox oil every 30k (under normal driving conditions). If buying used, go to a show-room and compare used models there before buying from private seller as most dealerships offer some warranties on mileage.
  • 2004 Ford Taurus Bought new taurus in 2004 and drove just about 53000M before the transmission died on me. Spent about $2400 on rebuilt transmission and other stuff. Totally disappointed in ford and will not even consider buying another ford.
  • 1996 Ford Ranger I have 250,000 hard miles on my Ranger and it is still going strong. I had to replace the transmission after I had Jiffy Lube "force flush" it. Jiffy Lube never admitted any responsibility. Many knowledgeable Air-conditioning people have stopped "force flushing". It is a bit under-powered especially when climbing significant grades. 90% of the driving has been in Los Angeles with biannual trips to Lake Tahoe. It still gets 17 to 20 MPG.
  • 2006 Hyundai Sonata We have 56k on a V6 2006 Sonata and could not be more satisfied. Goes like a Rocket Ship, easy on fuel and looks good after 3 years sitting outside all the time. We also have a 2004 XG350L with 114k V6 and that car is great also.
  • 1995 Ford Taurus Body- paint coming off at gas tank, Had a partial paint job about 10 years ago. The rest of car looks good. Interior- the fabric is coming loose at the top of the rear window. The carpet holding up well considering the wear and tear on the car. Brakes-brake light has been coming on for the past year - intermittently. Electrical and lights - My rear turn signals are not working and the lights on the rear are not working. No brake light on the rear driver side. Drive train - no knowledge. No diagnosis of a problem in this area. Exhaust and emissions - have had mufflers replaced at least 4 times. I was told about 8 years ago I needed to have a catalytic converter replaced. Have had no problems to the best of my knowledge. Heating and Air Conditioning. No problem with the heating but - I have not used my A/C since 2000! My car's engine dies when I use my A/C. I have not had a decent diagnosis on why yet. The computer diagnosis was always suggested when I did not have the money to get it done and when the car was running fine, I did not think about it. I got one computer diagnosis and it did not tell me anything of value. And it was not done at a Ford facility. Suspension and Steering - I keep my fluids level and have had no problems in this area. Today I had to replace the rear strut rod and bushings when a piece broke loose, jammed into the wheel and stopped my car. Fortunately I had reached half of my destination and had not picked up the passenger I was to take in for a medical appointment 20 miles away! it cost me $141 for the replacement parts and labor. I don't know what the regular charge is at a Ford dealership but this is what I paid at a brake place. Overall, I love my Taurus and really have not had that much maintenance done on my car. Tires and oil changes have been my most numerous maintenance items. I did have Transmission work twice since I purchased my car in November, 1995 as a retirement gift to myself. This was the newest car I had ever purchased and don't think I will ever buy another one.
  • 1990 Chevrolet Camaro I have a 90' Camaro, as well as a 68' Camaro. The 1990 has been reasonably reliable, although the stock exhaust is terribly restrictive. I have since replaced the stock from headers to the dumps at rear axle, and the engine breathes a lot better now. The brakes are adequate, but certainly nothing special. They are able to lock up the front tires, but that could be due to the skinnies I have up front. The interior is there. That's about the best thing that can be said about it, I think. The obnoxious dash pad lip on the passenger side is an eyesore, and it seems GM thought Torx was the new cool thing, as they littered the interior with them. They even threw in a handful of fake torx head screws, to what, improve appearance, I suppose? Aside from the typical late 80's look, there is nothing essentially wrong with the interior. I suppose it just doesn't suit my taste. The heater core on mine rusted out, and is currently bypassed, but the Air Conditioning performs admirably. Even on hot, 100+ degree days here in Texas, I'm able to keep the interior temperature comfortable. As should be expected with such a nose-heavy car, there is horrible understeer. This was made worse of course, when the drag skinnies were installed up front. It isn't unmanageable with a decent set of sticky tires, but with normal high mileage tires, the understeer is horrible. Suspension in both the front and rear have been replaced, and now work well for the application. Slightly stiffer front and rear springs drastically improved the handling. After reading this review, it seems I came off as a person that hates the car, but in truth, it is probably the most fun to drive out of all the cars I've owned! It has quirks, and small issues that need to be addressed, but overall, is a great older sports car. I would definitely buy another if something happened to this one.
  • 1998 Ford Mustang Love it
  • 2000 Pontiac Montana Brakes just are not the greastest on this model
  • 2001 BMW X5 I bought my X5 new in 2001. In the beginning I had tons of minor issues, which were all covered under warranty. I only had one major repair since the extended warranty was up in 2008. I absolutely love my truck and hope to drive it for many more years to come.
  • 2008 Chevrolet Express 1500 This is a conversion van with 20 inch rubber very rough on bumps
  • 2002 Pontiac Montana I wanted to support the American car makers and steer away from foreign car makers. Bought it used with 11,000 miles. Now have 111,000 miles. so far replaced the AC compressor (blown gasket), Condensor coil (poor weld), 3 wheel bearings, rear shocks, intake manifold gaskets 3 times, 2 alternators, 2 batteries, computor, OX sensor, Head gaskets/valve grind. Now driving around with a DVR because the dealer can't solve electrical trouble, driving down the road and engine dies, gas gage goes to empty and computor locks the engine so it will not even try to start, now with code P0122 and P0452 dealer replaced battery, alternator, burnt pins on back of instement cluster. now waiting for the next time it dies so trouble can be recorded on the DVR. One fix worth shareing is with the headlights, operate on the fixture and remove the shelding around the bulb and using a different bulb but you will have to switch 2 wires in the socket, ground will be on the wrong pin some work but the improvement is worth it
  • 2007 Kia Rondo THE SEAT BELTS NEED EXTENDERS NOT SUITABLE FOR HEAVY PEOPLE WHEN I COMPLAIN TO DEALER I WAS TOLD THEY PASS FEDERAL REGULATIONS IN SHORT THE DEALER & MANUFACTURER DONT CARE ABOUT OUR SAFETY AS HEAVY PEOPLE
  • 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 I love my car. I had a Mazda RX7 before this and the SLK is much more substantial and feels more sturdy. Plus it has a ton more airbags than my Mazda did. As long as you are aware that the SLK isn't going to have all the luxury bells and whistles that another car in the same price bracket does, you won't be disappointed. I love the ease in lowering the top on warm days and the power off the line. It's a fun car and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't cost me too much in repairs.
  • 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Regular maintenance is the key. That which has worn out, or gone bad has been minimal for us. It's our third Jetta going back to 1986. Second Jetta saved my life in a rollover accident. (Deer in the road) We love the car, but HATE inconsiderate scum that can't/won't watch their door opening technique. You know who you are, and I hope all of the cars you ever drive are piles of junk!
  • 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD I love this truck other than the stupid steering shaft that is a known defect that GM will not fix.
  • 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 I bought my 2000 slk in the year 2009 with 94000 miles on it I am extremely impressed with this car dollar for dollar how it has stood the test of time. This car STILL turns heads and elicits a lot of respect and questions from passers by.
  • 2002 Mazda Tribute I've had my Tribute for 4 years now and I love it!!
  • 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio how do you take out the fuel pump??? i dont know if its stuck or i have to unscrew it somewhere
  • 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK320 Great handling car, following the history of quality Mercedez. Great performance and looks. A Great Value
  • 2008 Pontiac G6 NOt a bad little car, seems to go through brakes though and I am not too fond of the "LOW" profile tires. Expensive to replace...
  • 1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 I've owned my 1995 s-420 since 1999, and have been relatively satisfied with it. My main concern is that there is a slight vibration that I cannot get rid of. I've balanced the tires, replaced all four tires, had the drive train checked all to no avail. This has been going on for the last 8 years. It looks like it is something that I will have to live with. The heating system is slow warming the car up. However, after twenty to thirty minutes it becomes comfortable. The engine seems to be okay, but I have only 91,000 miles on it. I have experienced problems with the oil lines leading to the lifters in the heads, the lifters would give a slight tapping sound and I would immediately take it to Herb Gordens Mercedes shop department. Each time it cost approximately $1,200 to repair. My car is garage kept and pampered. It goes without saying, I like it very much. However, if I were to purchase another car in the future, I think it would be a Lexus LS-460. From what I've read, that seems to be the most reliable car on the road today.
  • 2009 Scion xB Just got my new 2009 xB. Has more potent engine than previous model years. runs well on highways. Has enough OOMPH to accelerate quickly to enter highway from entrance ramp. Still very good on gas. No problems yet.
  • 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Love this convertible.
  • 1996 Mazda B2300 Exellent truck, just have problems with emission pump. Great for hauling Dirt Bike! Tires are a bitch to find!
  • 2000 Saab 9-3 I owned a 2000 SE convertible from 2003-2007. I loved this car. It was fun to drive - the torque steer was crazy but I liked it. The car was quirky - it had trouble starting if the gas in the tank was less than 1/8th of a tank and especially if the morning was cold. The brakes were squeaky. But this was a fun convertible. Too bad GM sucked the soul out of Saab. I'd buy another if it was still quirky Swedish. Actually I now remember there was a weird clicking sound coming from under the automatic transmission lever. A couple guys couldn't figure it out but then there was a recall for something and it went away. The mechanic said it was a loose bolt or something.
  • 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK500 This car is an electical piece of cr*p. Its had all kinds of electrical issues - sensors going bad, SRS light always coming on when its not supposed to, warning that lights are out when they are not, etc. Ah, and the CD changer broke at 45,000 miles. I can't believe how much time and energy I've had to waste on this thing. Its my first and last Mercedes. That said, no engine problems or AC or exhaust problems of any kind. The AC controls are ridiculous though, a total pain to operate. That said, the interior is great (except for some premature yellowing of hard plastic around the door latches on the inside and some peeling of the brightwork around the vents) It drives well and has great engine sound, good pickup for a super heavy car (the convertible I think is like 5000 lbs). I bought it 3 years old and the steering wheel leather was all worn and nasty, got that replaced for $800, Mercedes would not cover it under warranty. I've heard Mercedes quality has improved, I hope so. I've had more problems in 2 years with this car than I had in 10 years with a Geo, Ford and Saab.
  • 2005 Volvo XC90 This is a fantastic car. Handles great, super smooth ride, nice interior, minimal problems. We did have one issue - the electronic locks were always causing problems. Often we could not get the back hatch open at all. 2-3 dealers could not figure it out until right before the warranty was up, a dealer finally fixed it. No problems since. But seriously, we're super happy with this car. Its great
  • 1998 Ford Explorer I've owned a 1998 Sport (2WD) for 11 years. Its got over 100,000 miles and been a great car. We had one right at 40,000 miles - motor on drivers seat was one. But this car goes and goes with a little preventive maintenance. Its probably been 5 years since I had to go to get anything broken fixed on it. Some small plastic pieces are having troubles but, hey, its 11 years old. WAY WAY WAY more reliable than my Mercedes.