Car shut off while driving after problem with keys & ignition hard to turn over. on 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 4MATIC

1. My 1st key stopped starting the car one day. 2. The 2nd key worked for a while. Then it kept getting harder & harder for the ignition to turn over taking 1 to 3 tries each time b4 starting but car would run smoothly. Then car just cut off while I was driving & won't start. I replaced key batteries, car still won't start. Keys do turn in ignition. All lights work. Battery fully charged. Can anyone give me some suggestions of here to start?

by in Jenkintown, PA on August 02, 2013
1 answer 5 comments
ANSWER by on August 02, 2013
A bad key will give a no start not a cut off.These cars are known for bad crank sensors.If its just a no start and a second key works its most likely a EIS module.You will need a xentry scan tool and a work shop key from Benz.
COMMENT by on August 02, 2013
Thank you for the information. The second key no longer starts the car either. I was using that key when the car cut off while I was driving. Just to be clear.
COMMENT by on August 03, 2013
If you have no fault codes I would check the ignition switch,they are pretty common also.
COMMENT by on October 30, 2013
Hi, I live in Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County. Do you know a good private repair shop that has the tools to diagnose & fix my car? I do believe you were correct about the sensor. My e-mail is
COMMENT by on October 30, 2013 We are in Ambler.Call us for an appointment.
COMMENT by on October 30, 2013
Ok. I'd like to have it towed there on Friday. I'll call tomorrow morning.