I have a 1996 Honda Civic ex, bought just a few mths ago. Check engine light came on, took it to get tested and was told it was the cat. converter. Took it to a friend of mine that said no, if it were it would do thisnthat... check engine light goes on and off and the car still putt putts. I took it to a mechanic who said it was the wires, he turned the light off and told me to change the wires, after 3 sets of wires, (I now have the "honda ngk" wires on)it still does the same thing, but worse. I took it back to the mechanic who ran some test and said the converter effieciency code comes on (different from the converter itself?) and the MAP sensor, he stated after more test they determined it was definetly the MAP sensor, so they changed that, I picked up the car and wouldnt you know, it still did it. I took it back and they asked that i take the mechanic for a ride (it didnt do this for them) so I did, and it still did it, but he said he felt it was the fuel filter. They changed this, and now my car is worse than before. So I took it back and they suggested i leave the car there for a few days. I did, they stated they cleaned the whole fuel system injectors, etc... but they noe believe it is the timing belt, it may need a new one or just be off.... I went to pick the car up and decided I would have a 2nd opinion....(no disrespect to this mechanic, but I am taking it to a Honda expert)I dont have money to keep putting in possibilities..... I am taking it to another mechanic today, but was wondering if someone could atleast tell me what questions to ask or what signs to look for when I talk to them? I have no idea what it could be..... when I am stopped and in 1st gear, it doesnt want to go, it literally putt putt...then outta no where it will zoom off.... if I am going 60 in 5th gear, it will go, but you can feel like a hesitation, but the car never shuts off. I know nobody can really determine what is wrong with a car w/o driving it, but I dont have a lot of money to put into this for guess work..... please help! I should also add, that if I am in 1st and getting ready to go, if I have my clutch down a little (not all the way) and push my gas, the car usually will go w/o hesitating.... dont know if that means anything or not.
Car putt putt, literally on 1996 Honda Civic
2 answersJune 15, 2010
This week's top 10
Recent Honda Civic Questions
- Dash lights become dim when I use headlights and my a/c and heat stopped working
- The alternator and battery both work but battery is still not being charged.
- what causes my 2001 Honda civic stall and squeal when I turn on the A/C or heat
- How do I get the MAP sensor off? It looks like it's held on by rivets, not screw
- Engine light came on got the code to replace air control valve .
1996 Honda Civic Estimates
- 80,000 Mile Service ($53 - 94) in Sidney, NY
- Sub Item 5: Replace Coolant ($60 - 75) in Hempstead, TX
- Steering Gearbox Replacement ($535 - 798) in Onset, MA
- Maintenance Service A ($27 - 61) in Breesport, NY
- Drive Axle Assembly Leak Inspection ($52 - 67) in Fairland, IN
- Brake Hydraulic System Bleed ($61 - 78) in Mount Ephraim, NJ