» » »

Mercury Q&A

Ask Your Question

1999 Mercury Cougar Question: Can't Afford The Repair for a Catalytic Converter, What Do I Do?



Southern Belle, Antioch, CA, January 16, 2013, 17:59


my car (1999 mercury cougar) won't pass emissions test due to one of the catalytic converters gone bad. I can't afford the California Required purchase from the manufacturer or dealer to buy one they are $1000.

I'm applying for the CAP program but that's only $500. I want to get a waiver but still have to invest in at least $450 on repairs to qualify. If it is already known that it needs a catalytic converter then that still makes me required for the rest of the amount for repair.

Is there anything I can do or does anyone have any advice for me please help! I paid for the registration but can't get my tags until this is done.

Thank You,
Southern Belle

2 Answers
Flag This
  • Answer #1

    Prestige Auto Works (205 Answers) , Sacramento, CA - (916) 550-9579
    Prestige Auto Works January 16, 2013, 19:01

    If you need to replace a manifold catalytic converter you may be stuck purchasing it from the dealer.
    If it is just a regular catalytic converter, there is typically aftermarket ones available for a fraction of the cost. The muffler shop replacing the catalytic converter will need to know some specifics about your vehicle to make sure there is a legal aftermarket catalytic converter meeting the CA requirements. It will matter if your car was originally a federally or California built car, you can find out by reading your emission or VIN label.

    Flag This
  • Answer #2

    January 17, 2013, 00:04

    you can check out the CAP program

    Flag This