Can too long Spark Plug wires really cause problems on 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS

Because tune ups at the dealership was too expensive ($700+) I had it done at an independent shop. Recently when I had something else done at the dealership, they told me the spark plug wires are too long and can cause problem such as damaging my fan. Can this really happen?

by in Alhambra, CA on May 03, 2009
1 answer 1 comment
ANSWER by on May 03, 2009
You can have the plug wires re-routed with tie-wraps so they won't get caught in the fan. I think the dealer is trying to make you feel paranoid. Just have a decent mechanic tie back the plug wires a little so they won't get gobbled up by the fan.
COMMENT by on May 05, 2009
Thank you very much for your answer. What the service manager at Bewley Allen Cadillac in Alhambra, CA told me was that because the wires are directly over the blower motor ( the A/C fan) they can cause sparks and damage the blower motor, the repair of which would cost over $700. He said he had seen it happen before and so was warning me. He told me to go to the place I had the tune up done to have them taken care of. Because the place is near where I used to work and I no longer go there since I retired, I asked how much the replacement of the spark plug wires would cost and he said $180 for the wires plus $230 labor. That was way too much more than what I am willing to pay so I drove 10 miles to the place I had the tune up done and had them taken care of with tie-wraps free of charge. I know they do good jobs at the dealer and I am willing to pay more for that but only to certain extent.