Jeep Q&A

2004 Jeep Liberty Question: Can AC Compressor cause other problems?

DebandMark, 3.7L V6, Saint Augustine, FL, March 25, 2011, 10:44

We were told our AC Compresser was going. The other day on my way home, my engine light came on, then my battery light. I drove the last half mile home and when I parked, I lost my coolant. Refilled that and now when I start the car it makes a grinding/grating kind of sound. Not whining and the belt looks good. What now? And would an AC compressor, when it is off cause all that noise?
Got codes of P0137, P0138, P0157, P2503

1 Answer

Tyreguy March 25, 2011, 11:20

It sounds like the a/c clutch locked up while you were driving causing the serpentine belt to either slow down or stop altogether (should have been a loud noise also), which would not allow the alternator to turn (light came on- not charging) and the engine to overheat (loss of coolant).
    Your diagnosis of the a/c compressor failing looks like it was dead on. The noise is the clutch coming apart on the inside.

DebandMark, March 25, 2011, 11:36

So...do I drive it to get it repaired or have it towed? and have I ruined my alternator now too. The engine light never showed it to be hot...stayed right in the middle

Sooo...a neighbor, who works a lot on cars, said it's the water pump...and to have it towed so the belt doesn't cause further issues... off to the shop tomorrow. AAA towing it all the way.