Can a do-it-yourself guy handle replacing valve cover gaskets on this vehicle? on 2004 Volvo XC70

Noticed an oil leak under pan after an extended drive. When I had oil changed, mechanic said it appeared to be the valve cover gasket. It looks like there are a lot of plastic covers and wiring to remove in order to access the covers. Since the covers would be coming off, shouldn't the valves themselves be adjusted at that time?

by in Newton Center, MA on January 06, 2011
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
1 answer 2 comments
ANSWER by , January 08, 2011
This engine doesn't have a valve cover gasket or adjustable valves. It has a camshaft cover that is sealed with a liquid gasket, and they rarely leak. Did you have this looked at by an experienced Volvo technician?
COMMENT by , January 14, 2011
This is good information. I wasn't aware that this Volvo engine didn't have a valve cover gasket or adjustable valves. Another mechanic speculated that it could be the turbo. Enough guessing, I will definitely have an experienced Volvo tech diagnose it. Thanks for the info.
COMMENT by , January 14, 2011
Good idea. There's a good chance this is just the turbo return line seal. Very common. But there are other possibilities as well. Make sure they replace the oil filler cap seal and clean any oil that has settled on top of the engine if it was leaking.