California Compliant catalytic converter - Necessary to replace with same? on 2001 Honda Accord

I need a new Catalytic Converter for my 2001 Honda Accord - My original/extant catalytic converter is California compliant - I've been told to replace with same at a cost of $1,400 - I live in NY should I replace with same or will any catalytic converter (price closer to $500) do the job just as well?

Asked by for the 2001 Honda Accord
Check with a place that does emissions testing (N.Y.-you get emissions tests done , right?)-see what they would recommend so you will more likely get one that will not set poor converter function code (P0420).
No one I know of does emissions testing in NY, I've lived in the Syracuse area my whole life and been driving since I was 17 and not one emissions test...
2 more answers
any muffler shop can put on a legal aftermarket catt
You should be able to replace it with a normal 49 state leagal converter..
Qualified Local Honda Shops
Qualified Honda Shops For This Repair
921 N Parker St
Technical Ability
Tools & Equipment
Customer Service
Customer Amenities
(714) 486-0367