Reviews for Cadillac Catera years:

Cadillac Catera Reviews and Owner Comments

Cadillac CateraOwner Reviews (15 reviews)
    Visitor, Sanger, TX, September 15, 2013 18:01
    The Catera is a Vauxhall/Opel Omega built in Germany. Read the European reviews and you do not find the problems experienced on the Cadillac badged Omega's. Could it be that American mechanic's/technicians do not have the expertise to repair or maintain them?
    shundl, Vancouver, WA, June 14, 2013 14:35
    I have a 1999 Cadillac Catera and when it rains my cars floor is soak and wet on the passenger side front and back. Does any one know where the rain is coming in? The car was in an accident and need lots of repair work.
    Visitor, Kent, WA, April 21, 2013 15:49
    I love this car, ride, comfort and handling, and I fix it on my own, I don't trust this car to anybody. I had 4 cateras, and 3 of 4 I got in horrible shape. People never took care before, drove till brakes down, and then it costs a lot to fix at the shop. My last one was taken care pretty good, a lot of things were replaced, even so, job was done not professionally, timing belt was installed incorrectly, and one teeth off... So first of all I would blame not the car, but the not professional personnel, which doesn't have any knowledge how to fix this car. It's not American Cady, so it's another way to take care of it. Now I have two, for myself and for my wife. We both enjoy this vehicle. Both have 140k miles. Only one thing I hate is the lights, which could be replaced with aftermarket ones.
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, August 15, 2012 13:39
    I have a 1999 Cadillac Catera and like another review I read I thought I hit the jackpot. A 1999 Catera w/50K miles on it! But since then, transmission trouble, new electric water pump, new radiator, new tie rods, new struts, new brakes and rotors,spark plug replacement,ebs brake sensor unit,positive crankcase position sensor unit(thank God for E-bay),two wheel alignments, replaced non working fog lights, fuel pressure regulator,radio. Other than that the car is fine!Apparently Cadillac did not learn a lesson with the Cimmaron. This Caddy zigs, zags,ducks, dodges and when I go to trade it in after all that has been repaired, dealers frown at it like I'm playing a bad joke on them. By the way, it has 64K on it now and 14K since I bought it New Years Eve 2010. It's been a TOUGH 14K to say the least!
    Visitor, Bergenfield, NJ, December 02, 2011 11:05
    Worst car GM ever put the Cadillac name on! Original owner traded to dealer for new Impala ... and as the second owner we now know why! In first week of owning and at only 32K all seals failed mixing oil and coolant throughout engine block. Car was under full warranty so GM had to tear apart and rebuild at their expense (dealer refused to take the car back and argued every time the car came in for other problems and they never supplied items that were missing when I took delivery: owner's manual and cargo net, both had been removed from gthe car. Englewood Buick/Chevrolet/GMC in Englewood, NJ ... DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!). Between 32K and 45K here are a few more problems that surfaced: the third brake light failed (400.00 to replace, not included in warranty); the fog lights shorted out (too expensive to fix so they still don't work); various electrical problems that still occur; a burnt sensor on the transmission that would completely shut-down the car while traveling (replaced under warranty); warning lights that come on and off for no reason and when no problem exists. In short this is a high-maintenance and very expensive car to own. When everything works as it should the Catera is extremely comfortable and very much a great highway driver. When something goes wrong - as it does constantly - the car is a true horror. Stay away from the Catera and don't take any chance that you'll find one that'll never give trouble ... if you do take the chance you'll be sorry and bankrupt. I can't wait to dump the thing for a Lincoln MKZ.
    Visitor, Granite City, IL, July 24, 2011 05:37
    this cas after 5 years just keeps falling apart. Poor excuse for a cadilac. Very costly to have repaired 2001 only 57000 mile and looking at new motor not trade time.
    Visitor, Sarasota, FL, February 01, 2011 23:24
    Two years ago in 2009, I "inherited" this car from a family member. She was an elderly lady, and it really WAS one of those cars that was always garaged and only driven to the grocery store, the mall and the VFW hall. A TEN year-old Caddy with only 23,000 miles on it ! Thought I'd hit the jackpot. Since then, I've had to put over $3,000 in the car. New a/c, "copper tubing" for the cooling system, and brake lights that suddenly stopped working. The problem is, the damned thing is SO expensive to work on ! $500 in labor just to get to the a/c compressor ! Still...when it runs, it's an absolute joy. Plush interior, hugs the highway like nobody's business and a Bose sound system to die for.... I just can't give it up... (Not yet)
    Visitor, Tolleson, AZ, November 15, 2010 18:09
    catera uff
    J4GOD, Hampton, VA, April 30, 2010 07:07
    I LIVE IN HAMPTON VIRGINIA AND IS LOOKING TO FIND AN REPAIR SHOP OR PERSON TO PUT AN NEW HEADGASKET ON MY CATERA THATS KEEP GIVING ME PROBLEMS. THIS CAR IS REALLY ALOT OF MONEY TO KEEP GOING. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY MY ENGINE LIGHT KEEP COMING ON AND THE ENGINE KEEP OVERHEATING
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 24, 2010 14:17
    Terrible car bought it with 50,000 mikes have had nothing but problems it is a money pit at every level
    Hot Rod, Saint Paul, MN, April 09, 2010 12:46
    I have had my 1998 Catera for 6 years and just in the past few years I have had to get a radiator, Idel arm, ball joints ($$$). Now I can't get the key to turn after it sat in the garage over the winter. I think the alarm reste itself (remote never worked)
  • 1997 Cadillac Catera
    kidd47, Jerome, ID, March 13, 2010 18:44
    My Catera has just over 100,000 miles on it. I love it. It is such a nice little car. We have had to fix a few little things, but it all has been normal maintainance. My husband owns our own mechanics shop so we don't have extra labor costs, but we have not sunk much money at all into this car. And it definitly zigs!
    derpot1, Minneapolis, MN, August 31, 2009 07:31
    Power steering almost completely non effective. Steers extremely hard.
    rinverso, West Palm Beach, FL, April 10, 2009 21:19
    this is the red headed stepchild of caddy gm. it was the caddy that zagged. this is the result of gm buying opel of europe. it is called a opel omega in germany and a vauxhaul in england. for the money you cant get a better car. i have owned for three years, and am the second owner. i knew the issues with the timing belt etc. that is why when i bought the car, i got an extended warranty. the warranty has paid for itself many times over. cadilac dealers aren't prepared or willing in many cases to repair. the mechanics that were trained thru caddy are limited and since this was the last year it was made in the states, it is getting fewer yet. overall the car in my opinion rivals the bmw, mercedes and audi. for comfort and performance. with that though as i stated, repairs are expensive. i would not have purchased this car without an extended warranty. the car still looks great and has great curb appeal. people often stop to see what it is exactly. i have made some minor body changes. such as a euro front grillle and rear oem spoiler. it is now 8 years old with 92,000 miles and im getting ready to sell it to upgrade before the warranty runs out. oh buy the way, it is also a very safe car. it has side airbags and is quite a strong heavy car, as are the other german cars.
  • 1998 Cadillac Catera