Burning smell from replaced coil; now engine won't start. on 2002 Audi A4 Quattro

My engine was misfiring at low rpms. My mechanic replaced all coils and plugs and then detected a burning smell from one of the coils. Now engine won't start. Any idea what's going on and what to do? Thanks!

by in Eastford, CT on March 03, 2010
4 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on March 03, 2010
Is there any wiring damage? If a coil shorts out it could damage the electronic control unit. We have seen from time to time rodent damage causing the wiring to short out or things not to work. I wonder if something has shorted out during the replacement of the coil, because at least the engine was running prior to coil replacement.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
COMMENT by on March 04, 2010
Thanks very much for your response. Is the electronic control unit a module that can be replaced easily? My mechanic has essentially washed his hands of the problem. He removed all of the new coils and plugs, put the old ones back in and suggested I take it to the dealer. I am supposed to drive to Virginia in the car this weekend so this has become a somewhat urgent problem.
ANSWER by on March 05, 2010
HOPE HE DID THE COIL FOR FREE SINCE THE AUDI RECALL WOULD COVER YOUR VEHICLE. I'M PRETTY SURE THERE IS A FUSE IN THE ELECTRONICS BOX FOR THE COILS.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
ANSWER by on March 06, 2010
HOPE HE DID THE COIL FOR FREE SINCE THE AUDI RECALL WOULD COVER YOUR VEHICLE. I'M PRETTY SURE THERE IS A FUSE IN THE ELECTRONICS BOX FOR THE COILS.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
ANSWER by on March 08, 2010
slap above the instrument cluster with a open palm 2 or 3 times, if that does not work, try it with the key on. Maybe the instrument cluster. If it does not start it is not that. I have gone thru everything & a lot of good machanics being the proble. Good luck!
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply