Reviews for Buick Regal years:

Buick Regal Reviews and Owner Comments

Buick RegalOwner Reviews (38 reviews)
  • 1998 Buick Regal
    Godschild1959, Marietta, GA, October 20, 2014 17:20
    I brought my 1998 Regal GS from a used car lot. In 2011 I haven't had any major problems until now 2014. The engine light kept coming on after having all the maintence done on the car. I wouldn't pass emission until I took it to a mechanice and it finally passed emission. After getting the car out the shop 1 week later the engine light come back on so I parked it. Three hours later I went to put the key in the ignition and the car shut down dead and I can't get the key out of the ignition. I have been trying to two days. So I have the car parked with the key in the ignition and I called the mechanic to see what he thinks. I think it may be the antitheft feature because I just brought a new battery 4 months ago. Can anyone tell me what may be the problem for the car to die no life in it. I believe I may try by giving it a jump. any suggestions.
    Visitor, Mount Vernon, IL, March 06, 2014 21:16
    driving down road almost like u put brake on now no reverse what is wrong
    Visitor, Baker, MT, February 07, 2014 06:09
    Think my 3.8 jumped timing, when I go to start it I get spark and fuel but after cranking for only a few seconds it feels like the engine jumps then it stops cranking
    Visitor, Greenbelt, MD, January 29, 2014 20:56
    I like the smooth running of the engine and the confortable interior.It is a nice car, but has bad electrical system an lighting, back brake lights keep burning up, also signal lights went bad. Now the intake manifold is leaking at 142,500 miles.
  • 1998 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Silver Spring, MD, June 05, 2013 11:04
    Good car, know what to expect. This is a 15 year old GM product. To put it in perspective, my previous car was a 45 year old GM with higher mileage and LESS problems than this. Mechanically it's very sound. The three big issues tend to be gaskets, grounding issues and interior quality. If you buy one of these, expect to find a few interior parts (dirt cheap as regals are common enough to pop up in junkyards almost daily), expect to change window motors. A previous review cited $1600 for window motors. That reviewer was scammed, the motor and regulator assembly can be found for about 30 dollars a window, and the repair is not difficult to do yourself. I did all four in an hour never having disassembled a window before. Get a few GM clips ($5 for 50 of them) and feel free to put dynamat or peel-'n-seal on the inside of the door panel-it reduces road noise substantially. An hour and 130 dollars for brand new window movement. My Toyota's are 120-150 APIECE-and yes, they to have died. The steering rack and pump will need replacement. If you can do the windows, you can do the power steering pump. Disconnect battery, take belt off (30 seconds with a wrench for tensioner) detach two PS lines, unbolt pump, bolt new pump on, reattach lines, add fluid and open bleed screw while turning wheel. No reason to pay hundreds. The rack is worth a mechanic. Expect to pay 5-600 with alignment. The thing that kills the 4t60-4t65 transmissions is heat (or abuse, like any transmission). Keep fluid topped off, and don't blame the company when you failed to respect proper maintenance. Change ignition lock cylinder. 30 minutes, 70 dollars. Most electrical problems in this vehicle stem from this. The turn signal stalk CAN go bad, but that is rare, the lock cylinder is common. These cars brake fine, but if you want to knock 15ft of your 60-0mph braking distance, upgrade to firebird/camaro 12" front discs is available. The calipers bolt right on. Pump that old brake fluid out at the same time. Only works on 16" wheels or larger. Another upgrade would be sway bars ($150 with end links) which improve handling significantly. Strut tower braces and trailing arms (about $100 total) will make the car handle respectably, the Regal GS models have too tight a steering ratio for their soft luxury springs and thin sway bars. Improved anti sway bars are easy and a vast improvement The valve cover gaskets suck, but not a problem if you keep it topped off. Changing them takes 2-3 hours and 50 dollars. 15 year old domestics leak more than not. If you want bulletproof, pay twice as much for a similar toyota or honda. I bought my regal gs to modify, not with the expectation of reliability. -Proper maintenance. -$130 in windows -$50 in gaskets -$70 in lock cylinder -$500 in eventual steering rack -$60 in power steering pump -A weekend with basic hand tools. Result? A car that's good to 200k or beyond. It's that simple. I hope I've helped.
    Visitor, Jefferson, WI, April 25, 2013 08:13
    I own a 2000 gs with the supercharged 3.8. this car is the biggest POS I have ever owned. It is an electrical system nightmare. sometimes when you turn it on all the dash lights flash rapidly and it wont start. Do not buy one of these GM pieces of CRAP. almost everyone has electrical issues. GM JUNKER
    Visitor, Bountiful, UT, January 25, 2013 23:25
    This is the most expensive car I have ever owned. All the window motors broke and needed to be replaced, ($1600) I had to get a new catalytic converter ($800..?) the gas gauge is broken, the dash board lights went out and had to be completely replaced($400 used)I have had to get new break pads (300)Most of the warning lights come on and off daily and the car randomly shuts off (not fixed yet $1500..?)There is a coolant leak ($300)The heater goes in and out, I haven't even gone in to see how much that is going to cost me. GM used a coolant, Dex Cool; and I had to get a full flush(150)I also need a new transmission. There are many other problems with the car. In one year I have spent more to fix it than I paid to buy the car. Not worth the money. The look and interior are the only things I like. Gas mileage is average. Nothing great. (ALL BEFORE 130,000 MILES)
    Visitor, El Cerrito, CA, January 21, 2013 18:27
    i own a 2001 buick regal LS i am the 2nd owner since aug. 2010. By 2011 i started having problems with the ignition it used to lock on me then went away. After that problem it was the gear shift when u press it down to shift it was hard to press down to shift, so i banged the hell out of it one day and it went away. Now its jan. 2013 and i found a gad leak under the hood hopefully it wont cost as much but we will see tomorrow. Honestly i think the car is good as long as u treat it right, nice and comfy to drive and love the body shape.
    Visitor, Benzonia, MI, August 31, 2012 20:07
    I have owned since new Iam 74 years old with 366000 miles on it after leplacing the rear brakes the dealers say the cost to change the control for the abs to make the back brakes work cost more then 1100 dollars is this a scam? a visitor benzonia mi
    Visitor, Oxford, MA, August 08, 2012 12:21
    Im on my 3 rd BUICK REGAL GS From what i've heard,most electrical issues leads back to the ignition.So even though there is no code stored in the computer, these cars automatically store the codes and I believe that after 15 ignitions (key turns) the codes store and the check engine light goes off Another thing is that the fuel sending unit and pump will stop working I found out AFTER I put a full tank of gas in it The fuse for the fuel pump will blow out So if this ever happens check the fuse for the fuel pump and prepare to replace the pump so you dont get stranded again
    Visitor, Kingsport, TN, July 22, 2012 09:26
    My first Buick Regal have owned other Buick models before. Had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it. Other than regular maintenance, there have been few major issues. Have replaced tires, battery, serpentine belt. Major issues I've had - the air conditioner failed due to refrigerant leaking out and no one has been able to find the leak to fix it yet. Possible wheel bearing failure I am dealing with now. I let another family member take the car because I am 6' tall and even though there is good leg room once inside, I hit my head almost every time I try to get in. If I had it to do over, I would not have bought this car for me. A real headache...
  • 2011 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Oakhurst, NJ, June 20, 2012 07:24
    BOUGHT A 2011 BUICK REGAL TURBO. THE DEALER HAD A AUTOMATIC STARTER INSTALLED, AS PER MY REQUEST. HOWEVER, THE AUTO START WILL NOT START THE AIR CONDITIONING ONLY THE HEAT. THE INSTALLER ADVISED THAT THE AIR WON'T WORK BECAUSE OF CAR WIRING. CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE. I WANT TO FIGHT THIS ISSUE. WHY WOULD I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE VIPER AUTO START INSTALLED AND NOT HAVE IT WORK WITH THE AIR AS WELL AS THE HEAT!!!
  • 1992 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Cedar Hill, TX, June 15, 2012 23:45
    may car ran hot today. the temp gadge went up to 260 and the check gadges light came on. what should i do and where should i start by fixing it?
    Visitor, Austin, MN, May 27, 2012 22:26
    Iam writing in asking how to get my millage control light back on just noticed today it whent out is there a bulb for it or does it need to go to the shop for that i hope not just spent 1200 on replaceing the tire rods and sway bar due to normal wear and tear only has 123000 miles so can someone please help me on this?
    Visitor, Cayce, SC, February 07, 2012 16:31
    I love my Buick and it operates great. I had to have the catalytic convertor replaced about 3 years ago and it's been okay. Now for no reason it cuts off and I have to put it in neutral and recrank. It cranks fine, but it's very scary when I'm traveling alone. Computer shows nothing is wrong and naturally it won't do it when my mechanic drives it. Unpredictable! Help.
    Visitor, Lauderdale, MS, December 26, 2011 20:12
    worse car i have ever owned replaced the transmisson at 96000 miles then the engine ran hot now it needs a a computer and a new engine it only has 126000 miles on it i will never buy a buick again
    Visitor, Price, UT, October 16, 2011 13:29
    I have a 96 regal it is a good car wrecked in front but still runs great
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, July 05, 2011 12:07
    MY rack and pinion is leaking on the right side
    Visitor, Greenback, TN, June 24, 2011 13:34
    I have a 1996 buick regal, 4 doors, gray. bought it brand new and now I have 267,000 miles. engine run great, regular maintenance kept it this long. working on a/c and other interior issues but its been a great car.. paint job looks good..
    Visitor, Cairo, GA, June 08, 2011 23:13
    I have owned 2 Buick Regals in my driving history. The first, a 2 door, coupe was totaled in a MVA. The second, a 4 door sedan, I bought certified used. I have absolutely no complaints of any kind with either of the Regals I have owned. My experience is the Buick Regal is an extremely reliable, dependable, comfortable, stylish car. Yes, I keep up all the recommended maintainance and don't cut corners. I hope one day to purchase a brand new Regal.
    justice501, East Alton, IL, June 04, 2011 16:01
    I have own other GM products. I have also own a Buick. Quit driving GM products 20 years ago. Try another GM Poduct. A 1999 Buick Regal. It is the poorest example of a car I have ever seen! It had overheated. Found out this was a known problem for this car! I did not do enough homework I would have never bought this car. Replace know bad parts. Car would not start. Mechanic stated this is also a know problem when they get hot. Lost $1600 in repair! Possibly will put a engin in myself then sell the car at a lost. Tranmission was also having a problem. Tech bullentin stated solenoids. There was no recall on overheating problem and GM was aware of this problem. So base on that stay away from these 3.8 & GM products.
  • 1993 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, May 06, 2011 06:55
    keeps going
    neilbilodeau, Plantsville, CT, April 22, 2011 18:32
     Technician
    I have had this car since new. It's a great car, I put it through quite a bit and it just keeps going. The best thing you can do is make sure the transmission fluid is flushed regularity. Also the struts should be replaced, you won't even believe the difference.
  • 1991 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Auburn, WA, March 20, 2011 22:15
    I LOVE my 91 Buick Regal. I would say it's the best, most reliable vehicle I've owned. My biggest gripe is the bad GM paint job. All the paint has worn off the hood. Right now I'm dealing with a worn rack and pinion but I figure it's worth fixing for all the peace of mind I've had with this car.
    MacBoy, Manistee, MI, December 26, 2010 13:37
    Love the Regal Sport .... a "Daddy's" car, not cool, but dependable & great cross-country cruiser - Took R-66 from L.A. to Mich, back to L.A., back to Ohio. MPG was 24 - only big problem, Rear Brakes.
    Visitor, Iowa City, IA, November 17, 2010 19:28
    I enjoy my Buick a lot. Only gave the engine a "4" since a modern 3900 gets more power with a few extra MPG, it's very good though. Runs smooth at all times, shift smooth while still being pretty fast. Nice low cruising RPMs, like 2000 at 75, it'll do 1100RPM at 25 and about 1250 at 45. Ride is smooth, handling is decent for a vehicle it's size; however it is rather large and heavy, I just drove a Paseo for instance and it could probably take a corner at double the speed. (However a car like that is cramped, the Buick is definitely not.) Funny you guys mention the cup holders -- my rear ones are fine (and can be reached from the front seat..) but the fronts ones, we had a cold snap where it was about 10 below or so, I get in the car and the cupholders just spontaneously disintegrated, chunks of plastic and springs just flew out of the spot where it used to be. It's out of character for this car, the rest of the interior is quite nice and not disintegrating at all 8-)
  • 1994 Buick Regal
    dlovelong, Hockley, TX, July 29, 2010 09:09
    I had some and bad with my buick regal. The only thing i hate about the car is having to change the breaks to often. Now having some transmission problems but going to get that fixed got some prices and it around $500 to get replaced for a used one.But over all i love the car and going to hand it down to my son for his first car.
    Visitor, Isanti, MN, July 27, 2010 19:58
    Its a great car but it makes a louder air sucking noise, when running that i have not noticed on other cars and have not been able to figure out the cause . It also seems at times to be hotter than it should be when i have parked it. handles well, rides well. CUP holder spring broke!
  • 2002 Buick Regal
    Visitor, Monroe, LA, June 28, 2010 10:47
    ITS A GREAT CAR BUT ITS NOT THE 85 REGAL I HAD IN THE PAST. FAIR GAS MILEAGE. COMFORTABLE. GOOD HANDLING. BUT HAVE HAD TO REPLACE BRAKES SEVERAL TIMES IN 2 YEARS. AND DIGITAL ODOMETER IS OUT ON IT SO DON'T KNOW HOW MANY MILES I HAVE NOW. HAD FRONT SUSPENSION PARTS REPLACED AND ONE WINDOW MOTOR REPLACED.
    himileage, Livonia, MI, June 01, 2010 06:45
    About to hit 260,000 miles on this car. Great car. Lots of trouble with rear brakes though. Must replace frequently
    Kathy44, Saint Louis, MO, March 06, 2010 12:08
    I love this car. I've had it for 11 years now and am just now having some problems. Unfortunately, due to the location of the cup holder, it was broken within a week of buying the car (not under warrantee). And the sway bar is currently cracking on both sides. I have not spent much on repairs, but the repairs needed weren't cheap. Although, I would like a cup holder. You don't realize how much you miss them when they're gone. It's too expensive to replace. Overall, I would really hate to get rid of this car.
    durenevb, Spokane, WA, December 20, 2009 21:51
    First time for the 1995 Buick Regal, and I love the car, it is a smooth ride and had now problems with it until now. A commom problem that was on recall last year. The intake manifold gasket went bad and is costly to replace, but I still love the car.
    StealthyOne, Cincinnati, OH, October 15, 2009 10:50
    I own the 3.8 L, which has good power and great breaking, suspension and road handling. The big problem with this car is that the alternator is not powerful enough for everything electrical in the car (mine's loaded), so it fails every 18 - 24 months. Car's compact, sleek profile makes for cramped engine compartment, so the usual problem with most cars of access for maintenance is not on the light side of averages here, and headroom is inadequate for a person over 6'1" tall, but seats are comfortable, for long trips too, even if lower back problems abound. Fuel economy is NOT at or above the revised 19 overall, more like 17. I get 18-19 on trips, cruising at 75, about 14-15 city. Got screwed out of the Clunkers deal by the wrong number assigned for this car's 19 overall mpg.
    grey posses, San Antonio, TX, July 28, 2009 06:40
    Great car overall, maintenance cost has not been overwhelming. There was a lot of cabin noise, but had some adjustments made to the suspension and now the noise level is low and the ride smooth. The electric windows can be a problem and repair is costly, but have had only one malfunction in four years, but I still love the car; a supercharged family car, you can't beat that.
  • 1997 Buick Regal
    speeder, Marysville, CA, April 13, 2009 07:07
    Little things on the inside fell apart like the cup holder. the last 3 year have had problems with the windows working. Over all i love it is a GS with traction bar super charger etc/
    bobbefromberg, Los Angeles, CA, February 15, 2009 10:22
    Such a comfortable car and it handles beautifully. I will be hitting 35,000 miles this coming week. It's like driving a brand new car. All that's missing is the new car smell. I love this car.
    Russ, Oakland, CA, October 03, 2008 13:33
    The Buick Regal is a great family car. The engine and transmission work well together. The ride may be a bit soft for some but long freeway trips are a breeze. My only major repair has been with the transmission and that was covered under warranty. Inside trim and seats are holding up well.
    Wally_1, Walnut Creek, CA, August 30, 2008 15:40