Reviews for Buick LeSabre years:

Buick LeSabre Reviews and Owner Comments

Buick LeSabreOwner Reviews (115 reviews)
    bonnilass, Denver, CO, December 11, 2014 23:01
    Bought this 2005 in 2013 with 75k on it. Avg mileage 22mpg HORRIBLE. The care this car received from the first elderly owner was impeccable and now I'm driving it minimally but see no improvement in the mileage. Hwy or city...it doesn't matter. It's HORRIBLE. Where is all the wonderfulness that I've been hearing about?? Yeh, the car is sturdy, smooth, quiet, and reliable. But it's a tank...a gas hog...and I'm going broke on it, driving less than 8k a year?? The latest ongoing saga with it is Nov'13' the gage said I needed a new gas cap/engine light accompanied this; Nov'14' exactly one year later the SAME thing. It took 6 caps, last year, to get the car to stop throwing codes. I hope this time is different, it's been 3 days since the cap was changed and the 2 codes still prevail. GRRRRRRR :(
    mszee, Nashville, TN, November 02, 2014 10:38
    The air flow mass is preventing me from passing the marta inspection to get my 2015 stickers on my license plates. Among other issues,which is the fuel gauge lighting up after a short time of putting gas in it. All four windows are stuck, but I heard the sounds of them coming down but they don't. I was kicking under the glove box to make the ac and heat turn on but not that's obsolete! If someone could tell me if I need only a blower motor or a compressor. I replaced the catalylic converter, wheel bearings etc, when this car was given to me free of charge, but sometimes free isn't what its cracked up to be! Thanks any info I can get would greatly appreciated
    Visitor, Schaumburg, IL, October 15, 2014 17:06
    BOUGHT MY LESABRE NEW IN APRIL 2000. SPENT 7,000 DOLLARS FIXNG ALL THE BRAKES, TRUNK AJAR, 3 OF THE 4 WINDOWS FIXED. BRAKE LINES REPLACED, ENGINE GASKETS ALTHOUGH THERE WAS A CLASS ACTION SUIT ON TIS ONE. GOOD ENGINE THOUGH. STILL HAVE IT AT 32,000 MILES, ALMOST 15 YEARS OLD..........
    Visitor, Au Sable Forks, NY, June 08, 2014 16:09
    Purchased used in North Carolina in 2008 (It was a NY car originally). Had 47,000+ miles then, has 311,000 now. Main problem is under body rust caused by salting roads) Most other problems caused by towing things since it does not have a towing package. Otherwise biggest problems are the front wheel bearings and o2 sensors, intake manifold will be another. So far it is holding up but is showing signs of needing replacement. Will wait until Fall 2014 to make the decision. If replacing front wheel bearings always buy the ones with lifetime warranty. Bearings are made cheaply so why pay for them more than once. If frame holds up (does not break due to salt) I believe the car could easily reach 400,000. It makes sense why Buick discontinued the Le Sabre ..... it is too good of a car and lasts way too long.
    Visitor, Bismarck, ND, January 16, 2014 19:05
    CAR IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION WTTH 85000 ACTUAL MILES
    jpsantos2382012, Warren, RI, January 01, 2014 06:52
    My 2001 lesbre has been one of the best car I've bought in a while the only problem I've had since day one was the fuel gauge bounce from empty to full which I took care of by replacing the fuel sender I bought from eBay for 27 dollars and it took me about 20 minutes to replace other than that I have no complaints
    Visitor, El Reno, OK, November 14, 2013 08:49
    I bought my 2001 Buick Lesabre car at a small car dealership, one I've bought from before,here in my town. The check engine service soon came on and stayed on right after I bought it. So I took it back to the dealership to ask why and he checked it with his checker thingy and the light doesnt come on anymore but now the speedometer isn't working right, and it was before he checked the engine service light. The speedometer reads at least 30 miles over the actual speed I'm going. I was told it could cost me $200-300 to have it fixed at the dealership. Otherwise the car runs smooth and everything else seems to be working good.
    Visitor, Troy, MI, November 03, 2013 08:28
    Same here, gas gauge bounces to say Full when reaches about 1/2 full, driver side heated seat - not working; dash buckled - I glued it back down and put a dash pad on top. But I love it! Got it used on Ebay for $4500, 2001 Limited, 58,000 miles. Runs great, no rust, minor scratches. Will definitely keep it!!
    Visitor, Bedford, OH, May 29, 2013 16:28
    when I turn my car off and take out the key , open the door and the warning sound is letting me know my lights are still on. the brake lights and parking lights will not turn off. all other lights go out but not the parking lights or brake lights. does anyone have any suggestions?
    Cjean, Santa Rosa Beach, FL, April 25, 2013 10:55
    I have over 200,000 miles on my car now. I have just had my first real issue, which was an overheating problem. Replaced some sensors, thermostat and a few other items. No longer have overheating. My gas guage has recently stopped working (the needle doesn't indicate gas level) so I rely on the computerized information to determine my approx gas level. I do average over 30 mpg daily and on the hwy I average close to 33. This is my 2nd Buick. Love my car.
    Visitor, Willow Grove, PA, April 17, 2013 12:37
    First fuel pump went then camshaft went at 145,000 loved the car but it fell apart when it hit 145,000 was taken very well cared for but didn't last. Buying a japanese car now they last longer
    Visitor, Mount Laurel, NJ, April 16, 2013 15:39
    Bought 2002 LaSabre from dealer with 37,000 miles on it. 3 windows stopped working: cost $300+ for each. Headliner now coming down. New tires at 60,000 and battery at 80,000. Gas guage tricky. Otherwise OK. CEB Mt Laural NJ
    Visitor, Wynne, AR, April 15, 2013 09:27
    I love my 03 Buick, but the electrical switch is driving me crazy, repair man said it would cost about $400.00 dollar, it's only one window that want go down.
    Visitor, Greenfield, IN, April 12, 2013 11:38
    the 2000 buick lesabra limited is by far the best car i have ever owned!28mpg, sure i had a few maintance issues but expected it now has over 300,000 miles and yes that is the original engine and tranny, i have changed oil every 3000 miles, and i adapted to the fuel gage sticking on full all the time 3 water pumps isn't that bad when you consider there's 300,000 miles on the car. i am sorry to see that generation of luxury go.
    dmariud k, Flint, MI, March 28, 2013 23:09
    hi this is dmarius knott i with to buy a buick for 100
    buickmaster, Somerset, IN, February 18, 2013 00:03
    I have read some of the blogs and I can tell u this.u guys can save a lot of money by more research.like the gas gage going to full to empty. Here's the thinf a new fuel pump off eBay and one hour anyone can do it..I fixed mine for 50.00 and .now it's not for everyone but most problems.can be fixed if u just look up the issue
    Visitor, Murray, KY, January 15, 2013 15:32
    it's a wonderful car. I bought it used in 2000, and have had absolutely no big problems. It has 96,000 miles on it now. one thing, I had to have my heat sensor replaced twice, and it was not even that. after I wised up and put my buick gas cap back on it instead of the locked gas cap I bought at walmart, it has never had that problem again. it was confusing the computer, I think. the light turned off immediately upon putting the original cap back on. then I had to replace a right front brake pad. and then too, the top came off the console. I have that just laying there where it belongs though and no one is the wiser... I think this car is great for a senior woman as myself. I have taken several long trips. never any problems. Thank you GM and thank you Lord!
    Visitor, Evansville, IN, January 14, 2013 07:35
    I bought this as my second car a little after my 17th birthday. Imagine it...a senior in high school, driving the stereotypical "old man" car. Have to admit though...my first car was a 2001 Honda CR-V and, while that rode really well, I've yet to find another car that rides as smooth and effortlessly as a Buick. I bought it was 128,***K miles on it and am now at 132,8**K miles. When I bought it, I had to remove the catalytic converter that went out on my exhaust. When that thing gets old, it creates the most annoyingly loud and obnoxious rattle when you accelerate. And believe me, it's LOUD. I had my father replace that and am now in the process of repairing the power locks and windows on both rear doors. I hear this a very common issue on Buicks, which, in the grand scheme of things, is very minor in maintenance. For being 11 years old, this Buick runs amazingly well. Accelerates nicely and has a lot of umph under the hood, thanks to the 3.8L V6. Very hefty and powerful, sometimes causing my front tires to burn out if I hit the gas just SLIGHTLY too hard. Haha. Love the ride and undoubtable reliability. My only complaint is, sometimes, the car shifts slightly rough between 2nd and 3rd gears if moving a little fast. I drove the car to Nashville and back, going a steady 85 the whole time and didn't have a single issue. Also, I was surprised with the good gas mileage I managed. Drove about three hours with my mother following in her 2009 Camry and managed to use up less gas than she did...we both filled up before leaving as well. Overall, an amazingly reliable car with a huge cab space and smooth ride.
    Visitor, Somonauk, IL, November 23, 2012 10:25
    I bought this Lesabre Limited at 56,000. It now has 172,000, and other than expected wear like tires, brakes, and light bulbs, there has been NO maintenance cost. I agree I have had one or two lights go out on controls on the radio and heater but nothing else and they are really of no consequence. It even still has the factory battery in it. It is time to replace the rear air assist shocks, but with the trunk I have constantly loaded, I'm surprised that didn't happen long ago. I put up with Chicago winters, commute, and live 1.5 miles up a country gravel road. That's about as hard as you can get on a car. The ride is great, because of the load I carry and my type of driving, mileage has still been low to mid twenties in a car that is large and comfortable. Unloaded on the highway it will get between 32 and 34mpg, and I think that is pretty darn good even compared to the smaller cars I've had. I see a number of horror stories here and just thought I would add what seems to be the majority of other owner's stories I have met. They won't part with their Lesabre for love or money. When this one dies I WILL try to find another. For the people with the high repair cost, do you drive it like an Indy car? Also, in the past I have found a $1200 dealership repair might only be a few questions on-line, a $50 part on Ebay, and an hour or two of my time with simple hand tools I bought. In many cases the directions you get on-line and a $10 manual for your car, can really make it that easy. It also feels pretty good to know you still have the other $1150 in your pocket and you fixed it yourself. By the way the reputation many repair shops and dealerships have for being unscrupulous is WELL DESERVED. I once bought a used car privately that did not drive quite right. I took it to the dealership who told they found a worn out suspension part and it need a $600 repair. When I looked myself I found what was literally a shiny brand new part the previuos owner had just put in and foolishly neglected to tighten the bolts. Guess what the dealership was going to charge me $600 to do? Just my 2 cents.
    Visitor, Louisville, KY, November 14, 2012 09:22
    Ive had my buick for2years and i love it the only thing went wrong with mine is my transmission bolts fell out and had to fix air comming out of the egine BUT OTHER THAN THAT.1 HAD MY BUICK AT 94000 MILES and now its at 137000 miles and runs like a champ dontnoone got a better egine then 38 series buick i think its the best egine in the world. i love my buick
    sidrow, Antioch, TN, November 05, 2012 22:13
    My 97 Lesabre custom has 284000 miles on it. I'm not sure if that is original miles for it was a salvage car when I bought it. The body is tight with no rattles, steering is tight with no slack in the linkage, all controls and lights working properly, interior is like a new car, blue with white exterior, a very pretty car. I've done the normal maintenance, Brakes and recently the plastic intake (plentum) with a new water pump and radiator. I plan on getting a half million miles on my good ole Buick. I change the oil every 3 months regardless of miles and use Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic. These cars are as good as any Asian car out there and much less expensive to repair. The 3800 V6 Series II is bullett proof and fun to drive. Like my Buick!!
    Visitor, Columbus, OH, November 04, 2012 11:58
    Repairing the stabilizer system in my 2000 Buick La Sabre. Would like as much help as I can get. Never done it before and not a mechanic.
    Visitor, Evans, CO, October 11, 2012 10:02
    when I first got this car I was super impressed. Heard great things about the engine. Bought it used at 48k. Had it checked and rechecked by mechanic, nearly new condition. Fast forward.... Inner and outter tie rods replaced, window regulator/motors replaced twice, 2 Ignition Coils, Leak from Manifold area, Brakes needing replacement more often than any other car I have ever owned, eats through rotors, compressor for the suspension system failed at 50k, power steering pump failure, rack and pinion replacement, security system keeps malfunctioning, etc. The engine itself is great, its everything else that keeps failing.
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, October 09, 2012 08:36
    I bought a used 1990 LeSebre in 1997. It was a GREAT car!!! I sold it at about 180,000 miles and at 180,000 miles it ran better & smoother than my 2005 LeSabre brand new! The ONLY problem I had with the car besides normal maintenance was a rocker broke loose in the engine resulting in only 5 cylinders working. I could still drive it but it naturally was a "bumpy" ride lol. I took it to our mechanic & they was able to get it out & replaced it at the cost of only $125!!
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, October 09, 2012 08:30
    I bought a used 1997 Lesabre at 55,000 miles. GM put a PLASTIC intake manifold on it which eventually cracks. I found this out the hard way. I was driving one day & my car began to (putt) loose power. I turned the car off right away. Thank god! The plastic intake manifold cracked leaking radiator fluid into my engine causing it to LOCK UP!! Thankfully my instincts told me to turn my car off right away or it would of ruined the engine! It took the shop a while to clean all the radiator fluid out of the engine & then replaced the manifold. The serpentine belt had to be replaced more than once. Also, the gas gage quit working. Other than that it was a GREAT CAR! Only other repairs were just regular maintenance such as fuel pump, water pump, alternator, brakes and so forth.
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, October 09, 2012 08:19
    I bought my 2005 Lesabre brand new from the Buick dealer. Right away it had transmission problems, but of course when they drove it they said they didn't notice it. Right away the car vibrated very bad. The dealer said that was just the way the car is made? Ive had 3 LeSebre's & NEVER did they run so rough! Also, right away after purchasing the car when it rains, at high speeds the brakes do not work on first try, you have to hit them again to begin to stop(very scary). Then in the middle of summer the heat came on & was stuck (could not turn it off) with never turning the heat on, coming out full blast. It always has run low on oil since about 3 months old. The dealer checked couldn't find any leaks. All the lights went out in the steering wheel at about 45,000 miles including all the lights for the heating & cooling controls went out before the warranty expired, the dealer "fixed it" then before 50,000 one by one they all went out again. The heated seats quit working while still under the 36,000 warranty the dealer fixed it but after the warranty expired they quit working again. When the car was only a little over 3 years old the tires began leaking air. Took it in, the chrome rims are so corroded they will not hold the air. The air bag sensor went out around 65,000. The back lights as well as the brake lights constantly go out as well as the front headlights but not quite as often. The ashtray has broke more than once(falls on the floor). One of the power outlets quit working, the heat vent on the passenger side does not work, also the center counsel will not stay shut.These are all things that starting falling apart at only a couple to few years old. Also at about 85,000 the speedometer went out. The auto shop said it was an error in that years model & in order to fix it, the dash has to be taken out & sent to another state to have it fixed, very expensive. He told me GM was paying for the repair but only up to 75,000(just my luck) Other than the "superficial" things... the engine appears to be holding up strong with only normal maintenance issues. Anyone else have these problems? I would like to keep this car till 200,000. My 2nd buick I ran till 188,000 before I sold it & it ran great! Im very disappointed in Buick for the 2005 Buick(im wondering if it was because the last year the model was made?) I have to add oil usually right before 3,000 miles before i get in to change it around 3,000. I found it weird,unsafe & inconvenient GM placed the battery underneath the back passenger's seat. Also, it is not vented properly or something because we get fumes of sulfur occasionally in the car even after putting in a new one. Also, the transmission is still an annoyance but im hoping now at 152,000 miles if it was going to go out completely, it would of by now (fingers crossed). The ashtray has broke more than once(falls on the floor). One of the power outlets quit working, the heat vent on the passenger side does not work, also the center counsel will not stay shut. PROS: at 155,000 miles the fuel pump, alternator, water pump still have not needed to be replace. Also, the battery lasted a good 7 years(wow).
    Visitor, Rochester, NY, September 15, 2012 10:11
    1998 Buick Lesabre Custom - Piece of GARBAGE!!! Had to replace engine at 50,000 miles. Buick had to have their own Head Gasket!! Why? I have 1998 Chevy Lumina, 128,000 miles, starts right, up barely cranks over. The Buick, THEY HAD TO DESIGN THEIR OWN FUEL INJECTORS!! Couldn't use proven fuel injectors used in other 3.8L engines! Front sway bar snapped. Why? Both rocker panels are rusting out big time. Junk!!! Shocks failing miserably. Muffler too expensive to replace - welded system!! Not like muffler only!!
    Visitor, Lithonia, GA, August 13, 2012 04:55
    I presently owned a 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited that has 41,098 miles on it. This has been the most reliable automobile that I have owened in my entire life. At the present I did have one recall concerning replacement of throttle body bolts, which was done and no farther problems with that system, however I had to have the lower intake manifold gasket set replaced around 38 thousand miles.I have heard from other 2003 Buick owners with the 3.8 engine installed in their cars who have experienced the same problem, however I haven't heard of a recall concerning this component failure at this time, however it is possible that others may have experenced this problem with their automobiles.
    Visitor, East Hampton, CT, June 21, 2012 11:05
    The 2001 Buick LeSabre has been great on gas and has been our most reliable vehicle since my 1995 Olds Cutlass convertible with 250000 mile when it finally needed more work than a newer vehicle would cost. 2001 Cadillac Eldorado was junk and the 2003 Ford Exploder (not sp) was even worse. The window regulators on the Buick are as one person wrote a joke. You could by a box and replace one a month and never stop. The gas mileage and ride are superb and we have had no engine problems except Air Conditioner. The seat at 160000 miles is starting to get low (could be mice but, that is my own issue. They built nests in the heating ducts and got in through the passenger cabin filter housing.) We are on our second battery since 2005 and would have bought a new Buick except the new ones get worse ratings than the old ones.
    Visitor, Rittman, OH, June 13, 2012 12:31
    My wife has an 03 with 38,000 miles best car we have owned. A rear strut is leaking and I am going to replace both. That is the only problem to this point.
    Visitor, Cartersville, GA, June 08, 2012 12:30
    I have a 1997 Buick LaSabre, with over 200,000 miles on. My step-son is a know it all and says that Dex-Coolant is not good for the car but is is recommended for the car. I looked it up and it DOES SAY to use what is recommended for the car. Is Dex-Coolant good?
    Visitor, Niagara Falls, NY, May 23, 2012 12:06
    1997 buick lesabre 90,000 miles drove great when i first got it but then started only letting me put 5 dollars worth of gas in at a time and would act like it was full. Also had a misfire check engine light came on replaced coil light went off but then came back on ugghhhhh...but over all love a buick i have had 4 altogther if i was rich i wlould buy a new one every year
    Visitor, Baton Rouge, LA, May 16, 2012 09:32
    I bought a 1998 LeSabre 4 years ago with 60K miles on it. I now have 94K. The engine has been incredibly reliable. The only expense in 4 years was the serpentine belt at $125. However I have numerous problems. After running through a car wash I have a water leak but only on the driver side floor mat and only when it rains. Tried everything to locate problem to no avail. Horn relay stuck and now use a pushbutton wired to the horns. The AC/Heater control comes and goes. Never know when it will work. Seems to do better when car is parked in shade or when we have wet or damp weather conditions. Always starts with air blowing through instrument panel and then blows though windshield vents and stays there no matter what control I select. Thinking of replacing the control but will check with my mechanic first. The car drives great and have gotten 31MPG on the highway running 70s and with AC on. Can't afford another car and would like to get this one repaired.
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, April 18, 2012 07:38
    I have a 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited that had been my fathers. This car has only 41000 miles on it as dad did not drive it much. He bought it new from dealer, always garaged, always serviced per owners manual at dealer. It can be a good car when running properly, but this car's durability is worst of any car I have owned. Transmission had to be replaced at only 31000 miles, by far lowest miles of any brand vehicle I have ever owned, and GM and dealer were no help. Apparently the left rear window regulators tend to fail even though they are not used much - have seen this on friends cars. I had a 10 wk period last year when car had to be repaired 4x, mileage only 30-35000 at time. front seat heater failed shortly after I began driving car, about 23000 miles, dealer says over $400 to fix. Would not buy a Buick based on this experience.
    Visitor, Mims, FL, March 01, 2012 07:23
    What a great car! Over 8 years old and 170,000 miles and still going strong. It's taken us on numerous long distance family vacations safely, smoothly and reliably. Minimal repairs. Love that 3800 Series II engine; I sure wish they still made it today. Today's cars can't touch its power or fuel economy!
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, January 15, 2012 19:29
    Buick 1998 Lasabre 160k miles EMISSIONS AZ Emissions +++ Emissions++++++++++ Arizona== Great used car but weird situation, it does not fail but it does not pass emissions. all lights on dash turn off after starting car so no problems according to car. inspections says: catalyst, EGR and evap system NOT READY and misfire, O2 sensor, ,heated O2, fuel system and component READY dealer says Do a drive cycle which means drive it for 100 miles or more for computer to give new results but after 700 miles driven , still the same results. if this happened to your car how did you fix the problem to make it pass emissions?
    Visitor, Gainesville, VA, January 02, 2012 10:40
    155,000 miles. Nice car, but maintenance costs are becoming prohibitively expensive. Synthetic oil has preserved the engine, it runs like new, transmission had to be replaced at 88,000. Suspension repair costs are astronomical. Now averaging about $2,000 year in replacing parts due to wear and tear. Tough automotive life in Washington Metro. Panel lights have also been going for years. AC compressor lasted just over three years, died one month after warranty expired, sunk $1200 into that repair. $3200 transmission replacement. $260 replacing rear window pulley. Over $1500 in various suspension components going bad throughout the life of the car. A virtual piggy bank for the dealership and mechanics, I should be given stock in their companies! Still, have enjoyed the car, and it has lasted 155,000 miles.
    Visitor, Indianapolis, IN, December 26, 2011 19:22
    I have always thought Buicks and in general were a quality product. I am excited to have purchased a 98 Le Sabre today. It is a one owner and is immaculate. I cant believe my good fortune at finding it at a great price too. Only one hundred thousand miles and such classic details. Love the button push door handles. So I am over the moon and will be babying this gem for a bunch more years. Anne in Indianapolis
  • 1999 Buick LeSabre
    Visitor, Plymouth, MA, November 22, 2011 11:50
    This has been a great car. Bought it in 2001. No major problems other than rotine maintenance. Just had it checked at my garage. Paid $69 for used car safety check to make sure everything was OK. I needed a serpentine belt replaced ($260) and that was it. Looks like I'll be driving this car for awhile longer.
    Visitor, Bay City, TX, November 16, 2011 19:58
    when i start the car it runs for 30-45mins then stalls. after about 30-60 mins later it will start back up a run. i have changed all kind of parts out and now it will start then stall. i have put code reader on it b4 i changed parts and it still reads code 41. PLEASE HELP ME IM SPENDING MONEY
    Visitor, Felicity, OH, November 11, 2011 15:17
    I love this car drives and rides great,but had to put a front wheel bearing on at about 42,000 (they consider this a normal wear item)and the other did not go out till 177,000(178,000 present mileage ) a lot of dash,radio,heater control,and steering wheel lights went out at less than 64,000 both rear window drive tracks broke and the rear suspension compressor along with shocks before 140,000 The tires wore very well i have only bought 8 tires and have 7/8 tread on two and 3/4 tread on two. metal brake lines all had to be replaced by 178,000.
    Visitor, Eleva, WI, September 28, 2011 20:28
    We have two 1997 Buick LeSabres, a Custom with 118,000 miles and a Limited with 126,000 miles. The Custom had the Intake Manifold/ Leaking antifreeze problem at 90,000 miles and leaking corroded brakelines at 115,000 miles. Both problems were corrected with replacement of affected parts. The Limited's brakelines were replaced after the Custom's brakelines failed. Both cars have considerable corrosion of exposed unprotected metal on the underside. The panel below the left side doors is corroded all of the way through on the Limited. A few days ago, the Limited's subframe rear mounting bolts let go because of subframe corrosion. Both sides let go with a bang and release of the large metal spacers, rolling around on the ground afterward. The subframe is separated about six to eight inches from normal, also allowing the engine to drop down. The rear end of the subframe is only two inches from the ground now. Luckily, this all happened as I was accelerating after stopping for a red light and not while traveling at higher speed. I was able to limp the car home afterward by driving at slow speed. After checking blogs concerning subframe separation, it is apparent this is not an isolated event. It does appear to be a problem in northern "rustbelt" states. It also appears that GM has not officially recognized the problem. At the relatively low mileage on both cars, the engine and drivetrain should go many more years, if the body and frame can keep up.
    kimtruitt, Pompano Beach, FL, September 15, 2011 10:40
    I bought my 2001 Buick Lesabre from a dealership in Boynton Beach,fl with one prior owner and 60,000 miles on it. I have had problems recently with the watrer pump seeming to leek xoolant from somewhere, replaced water pump and still loosing coolant. I was told by Pep Boys to use dex cool on my last oil change and since then I have had a jerking in my engine at start. i read a bit on dexcool causing these problems. Go to Consumeraffairs.com and it will show you all compaints on this product. Also always replacing my power window mechanisms, always breaking and very expensive!!! I also hear a grinding noise in my front wheel hub and it was diagnosed yesterday as a rusted front hub assembly. They told me i should replace both sides at $200 each! My gas gauge isnt working, it jumps up and down and i always have to fill it when it starts to bob. Estimate for that a whole new fuel pump and sensor attached (cost $700) I love my Buick but I am dissapointed if this Dexcool product is sabotaging my car :(
    Visitor, North Fort Myers, FL, September 10, 2011 15:38
    I think I need an oil sensor where do I locate it on the engine? The oil gauge goes almost to the red scared to drive it any idea if that may be the problem, also when I stop the car at lights it has been jerking when I go forward then it settles down.
  • 1991 Buick LeSabre
    Visitor, La Place, LA, September 01, 2011 15:03
    mybe you can tell me how to get the window panels off for I can fix them myself other thin that I don't have that much the my car it's good on gas and everthing.
    Visitor, Great Falls, MT, August 29, 2011 10:22
    I would loke to know how long it would take to replace the intake manifold gaskets on my 1995 buick LeSabre?
    Visitor, Delmar, DE, August 20, 2011 15:28
    Have a 2005 Buick Lasabre purchased new, oil changeed every 2-3 thousand miles. Last oil change notice the oil pressue would go to zero under hard accelartion. Slamming on the brake did not change, but after a few seconds the oil prussue would return to "normal" which is a stagger 130lb, which as been since new. I was wondering if this is an oil sending unit or a computer, or a oil pump, How do I check this out?
    Visitor, Akron, OH, August 13, 2011 06:50
    engine not running 3 windows moters not working drive side view broken needs 4 new tires air not working
    candybar, Woonsocket, RI, August 08, 2011 11:11
    As long as you take care of this vehicle it is a nice vehicle to own. The only down fall is the quick rust on the bottom of car and high cost of maintenance.
    Visitor, Capitol Heights, MD, August 05, 2011 11:43
    after awhile of sitting my car runs an then cuts off after sitting.... it will start up only if i pull gas in the intake manifold.. can someone tell me what is the problem
    Visitor, Randallstown, MD, August 02, 2011 01:37
    THIS CARE IS NOT FOR COLLEGE STUDENT-NOT GOOD ON GAS-ELECTRIC SYSTEM NOT RELIABLE-FUSES CONSTANTLY BLOW OUT-AIR CONDITION STOP WORKING AFTER 75,0000 MILES,HAD TO REPLACE ALMOST EVERYTHING-WISH I BOUGHT A NEW CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Slidell, LA, July 04, 2011 16:22
    Bought the car in 2006 as a Certified Used Car from a GM dealer. Had 24,000 miles on it. Great vehicle. I am on the road a lot each week averaging 30 - 40K yearly. The car rides like a dream and the Stabili-trak system has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Still averages close to 30mpg hiway and 24 city. I have found that as long as you keep to the published maintenance schedule the car performs great. Vehicle now has 114,000 miles on it and runs great. There have been some cosmetic issues in the interior and on the dash. Many of the little lights in the radio and on the steering wheel are out and I need to replace the hinge on the center console. Also need to replace the stop on the ashtray. All these parts are dealer only and may wait a while for repair. Only major repairs I have made was the CV joints replaced at about 100,000 miles. Have changed the rotors and pads a couple of times - bu that is just use. Replaced battery at the 4 year point. Sorry to see this model taken off Buick's lineup.
    Visitor, Beaumont, TX, June 23, 2011 22:29
    when i stop at a stop sign the car takes a second to pick up speed like it is not getting enough gas. after i press the gas for a few seconds it picks up speed and ride good. wha is the problem?
    Visitor, Greenup, KY, May 25, 2011 15:53
    Bought this model used with under 100,000 miles but in two years have had to put about $1400 in various repairs and still needs several hundred more dollars to bring back up to par. Constantly replacing brake pads and rotors, replaced suspension struts, replaced starter, just replaced engine intake gasket and a mass air flow sensor, lights on the dashboard are failing a bank at a time - and staying off, and now the A/C fan only works intermittently. Mechanic says the heavy wear on rear tires is because it needs a rear alignment! We hate this car, and if we still did not owe for it, would trade it for something else. Our first and last Buick. We had good success with several Oldsmobiles in the past, and expected that this car would be just as good -- wrong!
    Visitor, Carson City, NV, March 10, 2011 11:26
    My Buick Lesabre is actually a 1989 and at present has 413,000 miles on it. Always had regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes. It was an outstanding car,great on highway road trips. Still has original transmission but has problems now,cannot complain with that mileage. Engine still strong and smooth,now car is used for short trips around town,no longer reliable for extended trips. I would buy another Buick without hesitation. Mechanics who have seen mileage on this car are amazed.
    Visitor, Carrollton, GA, February 25, 2011 12:43
    Bought my 95 Lesabre June of 2007 with 160,000 miles on it. It now has 272,000 miles. I replaced the water pump, a pulley and right wheel cylinder. It has been and is a very reliable car. I am impressed with the ride comfort and not afraid to put it on the road. The 3800 v6 engine is powerful and economical enough. Thank God for this car!
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, February 18, 2011 15:33
    I HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PROBLEMS. I BOUGHT IT USED NEARLY 3 YEARS AGO WITH JUST OVER 30,000 MILES. I JUST REPLACED THE TIRES FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT IS ROOMY, COMFORTABLE AND FEELS SAFE. IT IS ATTRACTIVE (WHO CARES IF THEY SAY IT IS AN OLD PEOPLE'S CAR!)... AND IF I CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE LIKE IT I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN NEXT TIME. I LIVE IN CHICAGO AND PARK OUT OUT IN THE COLD AND IT ALWAYS STARTS. THE ONLY PROBLEM I EVER HAVE IS SOMETIMES THE INTERIOR LIGHTS NOT GOING OUT WHEN I TURN OFF THE ENGINE. I SOMETIMES HAVE TO PLAY WITH THE CONTROLS TO GET THE LIGHTS TO TURN OFF.
    Visitor, Abilene, KS, January 29, 2011 09:51
    I have had my 2001 for 3 + years and I have 111K miles on it, the only flaw I have is the dashboarf has come loose and is bulging up in the center. makes it look terrible. done minimal maintenance above the regular PM ( oil changes) I liked the Buick (my first Buick ever) so well I bought a new 2009 lucern for my wife. we now have to geezermobuicks as the kids call them. my bext new car?----- a BUICK
    Visitor, Dover Plains, NY, January 16, 2011 18:50
    I absolutely love my LeSabre. It now has 195,000 miles. I did need to replace the tranny at 70K and the dash is now separating at the windshield, but I love the roominess, comfort and great gas mileage. I would buy another in a heartbeat if they still made them!
    mimmo, Flemington, NJ, January 11, 2011 22:39
    perfetto in tutti i sensi
    Visitor, Chattanooga, TN, December 04, 2010 15:48
    i smell gas when the car is running with the AC is on
    JRS_1, Chandler, AZ, December 01, 2010 19:29
    Excellent handling and ride. Quieter than any car I have ever been in. Mileage is between 22 and 28.
    Visitor, Lee, IL, November 27, 2010 10:01
    We bought this car Nov 2008 with 109,000 mi. We now have 154,336 mi on it (in Sept 2010). It has been a wonderful car. Great Ride, Roomie and Reliable. The only things I have done to this car is a new set of tires and at about 145,000 mi we had to do new rear shocks (about $216.00 for both installed). However, right now the Interior fan or Temperature Control Module for the Heating and AC is failing (but just started 2 days ago). This will be the first unexpected repair we've had with this car. I am planning to drive this car another year or two! Would highly recommend this car to anyone who can deal with the "Grandma Car" exterior.
    todays tech, Carbondale, IL, November 26, 2010 09:04
     Journeyman
    Good comfortable car. Fuel economy is good for vehicle's size, and engine power is also good. Suspension needed replacement after a 100k, and other normal wear and tear items. I do not trust the transmission though, has needed some repair and has some noise, belive to be a bearing going. I do like that the vehicle is easy to work on, plenty of room under the hood.
    Visitor, New Town, ND, November 13, 2010 11:34
    Bought my 95 lesabre limited about a year ago. Great car, comfortable ride and excellent highway mileage. Have done some basic routine work to it so far. Bought it with a snapped front sway bar which I guess is fairly common. Engine runs great at 170k. Struts are shot and looking at replacing them. Wondering if anyone knows what kind of struts the car has? Are they air or what?
    Visitor, Midland, TX, October 20, 2010 23:42
    I got my Buick used in 2006. It's an 05. I love my car. It runs very smooth and great on long trips. Really haven't had any problems with replacing anything except for now. The lower intake manifold gasket needs to be replaced and the transmission fluid is leaking. Other than that everything runs great.
    cstarnes, Conover, NC, October 12, 2010 17:29
    I bought the car with 92,000 miles on it in 2005. I now have over 300,000 miles on it and intend on driving it until the wheels come off. I have encountered small problems, as expected with this high mileage. I have replaced the radiator, fuel filter, water pump, leak around intake manifold (which I understand was a defect and happens to all 3.8 litres after 60,000 miles) and have only serviced the transmission twice since buying it. All-in-all this is one of the best cars I have owned. My previous car was a 1990 Olds Ninety-Eight and it was the cream of the crop. Lost the car in 2005 with 235,000 miles on it (would not start in the cold weather and to fix it would cost more than the care was worth! Too Bad:) I would recommend a Buick to anyone who wants a Cadillac ride at a Volkswagen price. I hope this review don't jinx my ride!
    tbshb, Luverne, MN, October 05, 2010 22:14
    my old boss has a 99 lesabre and i used to drive that back and forth to work now i dont work with him no more i had to buy one i have had alot of cars in my life and i'll never go back i'll run this tell it blows then i'll just buy another one so if would need to relax while u drive get a buick
    Visitor, Saint Louis, MO, September 30, 2010 19:39
    love this car except for the rust problems
    hardcount, Mora, MN, September 26, 2010 08:23
    I bought this car used in 2007 with 96000 miles, it now has 188000 on it now. I have driven it to Las Vagas twice. The milage I got was on average was 28mpg. The only major part Ihad to replace was the starter motor, and that was last winter. I have no problem starting in the winter, I live in Mn. I leave the car outside. I use a synthetic oil, mobile one. I have owned many cars in my life,and this buick is by far the best I have ever owned.
  • 1996 Buick LeSabre
    Stan Huszar, Nashville, IN, September 17, 2010 12:54
    purchased new in 96, has 198,000 has given excellent service, replaced trans with factory rebuilt at 100,000 miles due to faulty torque converter, acting up again now, GM should be embarrased about the electrical problem, no excuse for them. but I love the car and will buy another .
    BlueDash, Penn Valley, CA, September 13, 2010 10:44
    My wife's ride. Now has 120K. 30 to 35 mpg on hwy. Very smooth ride. Front struts are starting to go. Never had a window problem. Still does not use oil. Had the same 3.8 engine in my 85 and never had a problem. Have the trans serviced (oil-filter) every 36K. So far, so good.
    Visitor, Palm Desert, CA, September 11, 2010 14:58
    My 1st new Buick was in 1961 and I've had over 20 new Buicks since then. I never had any problem with any of them,ever. Now that I'm retired and bought my last 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited, this car is making up for all those trouble free years of proud Buick ownership. It has been and continues to be a problem plagued vehicle. The problems are too numerous to list. I continue pouring money into the repairs because I do love everything else about the car and the new cars don't fit me like this car does. This car has every option that some new cars don't even offer. It just turned 67000 miles and I'm not justified in trading it in todays economy. My previous Buick was a 1989 Riviera that had 140,000 miles on it and all I ever did to that car was lube, oil, filters, and tire rotations like all my other Buicks. This one is getting even with me for all those past years. Shame!
    Visitor, Salem, WV, September 10, 2010 11:51
    I bought my 1993 a couple of years ago because my father has owned one for years and it has been a great car. I was lucky enough to find one with 74,000 miles on it. I have been very pleased with the car. It's still running strong and does wonderful in snowy weather.
    Visitor, Thief River Falls, MN, September 05, 2010 10:34
    WHAT HAPPENED to this car? We have owned nothing but Buick LeSabres and have loved 'em all. THIS car is just a pile of junk. It's a never ending HOLE in which to throw your money. Perhaps you make too much money and wish to just throw it away so as to avoid needy relatives and their constant begging? Then THIS would be the car to buy. Transmission went out the day after we bought it then began the onslaught of NEVER ENDING electrical components that needed to be replaced. One module after another. On average, (and we saved every repair slip to prove it) we have spent just over one THOUSAND dollars PER YEAR each year we have owned this car!! NOT HAPPY. GM would do well to have the IRS create this as a tax shelter because it definitely is a losing proposition. When I look at photos of this car I get sick to my stomach. SHAME ON GM. You are making millions on the backs of hard working people who only wanted a decent car to get back and forth to work in.
    Visitor, Dania, FL, August 29, 2010 12:33
    I own a 2003 Buick LeSabre. This has been a great car except for the electric window regulators. I have replaced all 4 windows over time and now I am replacing one of them for the second time. I have been doing my own repairs after the first one. If I had them all repaired at the dealer it would have cost me over $2000 by this time. There are some real poor designs in these regulators. The materials are very poorly designed. I would be very apprehensive to buy another Buick. The problem with our manufacturers is that they know that they have a problem early on during the release of a new model, but they continue to ship them until the model end.
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, August 26, 2010 17:16
    Our 2001 LeSabre Has 40K miles. The power windows are a constant problem with the faulty accuators breaking all the time. Also, the gas gauge quit working ages ago and just reads full all the time. The front end makes a grinding noise, not the brake pads, I assure you. And, last but not least, the engine has started dying without any warning at any given moment. It will start again, but it can take between 1-10 minutes. I like Buicks and this Lesabre looks and rides fine and has alot of great standard features for creature comfort, but, with all these problems it leaves me doubting Buicks reliability and the decision to buy this one.
    Visitor, Buffalo, NY, August 13, 2010 06:53
    purchased mine used from f & t motors at 76,000 in shop time after time trans just went now spent 5000 in 15 months on repairs and in shop now again shame on gm
    goalmindedfrank33, Delton, MI, July 25, 2010 04:43
    I was given a 1993 Buick LeSabre,The car drives and handles really nice,great on gas..One problem about this car is that sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't..I am looking into this problem,and i guess from what people have told me this is a common issue with this type of car...
    Visitor, North Bend, WA, July 24, 2010 00:53
    I love this car. Beautiful. We have had problems. Blown Head Gasket and we are now having rough shifting gears and anticipate a transmission issue. Still love this car!!! 111,000 miles 7/24/2010
    Visitor, Greenwood, IN, July 14, 2010 18:06
    great car !!!!!!!!!! love it.
    Visitor, Angola, IN, July 02, 2010 09:56
    I have a 95 buick lesabre bought it used 5 years ago with 50,000 miles on it. After reading all the great reviews on the car decided to buy it. BAD MISTAKE. My car now has 93,000 miles and in the past 5 years I have put more into the car than I paid for it. I have put almost $3,000 in repair. The car looks like it is in mint condition beautiful looking car but I can not trust it.You name it, it has broke on ly car. Just got my car tuned up and drove it 160 miles before the power steering pump went out. Beofre that the computer,fuel pump,gas tank,alternator,brake lines and brakes,fuel pump,the list goes on and on. The cars sound great so sad because when my car runs good I love it! Just a lemon I guess I baby the heck out f it and still everything brakes.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, June 14, 2010 20:29
    I really don't care about any of the features. I was just in an accident today in my '94 lesabre and came away with barely a dent, the other car was totalled, and everyone came out just fine. I love my car, even though it may be dinosaur like at some points I really don't give a jizz because it saved mine and two other lives today. Dinosaur lover
    goober, Lawrenceville, GA, June 09, 2010 07:57
    Great car overall. The electric windows however are a joke - in 10 years we've had to replace all 4 motors plus replace the master control switch plus replace the other 3 individual control switches. The catalytic converter died on us twice, but was replaced under warranty each time - last time was on the last day of the 8 year warranty on it. As for the poster getting only 1 mpg, it's probably the main computer control module. We had that die on us in the 1st year & mileage dropped from 24 down to 10, so they replaced the computer which fixed the problem. Again, fortunately it was under warranty, otherwise an $800 or so repair.
    Visitor, Savannah, GA, May 09, 2010 04:04
    All the lights in steering wheel don't work and the car is hard to stop at high speed. The heating and air is a poor design
    willyb4747, Doylestown, OH, April 29, 2010 13:04
    Great Car. Quiet ride, 30mpg on the highway. The transmission went out at 28,000 miles though. All in all a great automobile!
    Visitor, Grand Rapids, MI, April 14, 2010 19:42
    I've never had a car with so many creaks and sqeaks.Obviously things are loosening up and causing noises. Also loud wind noise Very diappointed with all the noise in the passenger compartment
    Visitor, Lakewood, OH, April 09, 2010 11:06
    great car....
    Visitor, Old Town, ME, April 05, 2010 10:28
    The gas gage stoped working but thats it other than that awsome car!
    Visitor, Eugene, OR, March 26, 2010 15:40
    LOVE THIS CAR
    Visitor, Queensbury, NY, March 26, 2010 15:25
    Bought used 4 years ago. No problems other than the two front half drive shafts needed new boots, so changed out for new units. Usual brake replacement. 95,000 miles. GM screwed up big time when they stopped making these full sized cars. Never less than 20-24mpg around town/mixed and 27-32+mpg on trips. No lead foot stuff. Fourth Buick LeSabre since 1996. Wish I could get a 2010....
    samsam2007, Allensville, PA, March 10, 2010 22:24
    Very nice car but the bad mileage is TOURIBLE! I bought it from 5 days ago. very helpful and comfortable car like a boat! But I didn't know what the 10 mpg caused by? It chocked me!
    jahbless, Decatur, GA, March 03, 2010 10:23
    I think that the buicks suck. Im not a fan of US made cars but i still gave it a try. I have had this 2000 Buick LeSabre for 1 year now. I paid 7,000 for it and put about 4,000 in work into it. all of the windows stop working. The motors sounds like it a race car with a loud noise everytime i hit the gas,(not in a good way). the gas meter stop working. its all ways on full, even when i know its not. the trunk stop working, the only way to open it is with a key. The a/c commpressor just gave out. the head gasket leaks on to the engine causing a bad smell, the gas pedal sticks at time making it tough to brake. and the stock radio sucks
    mama2, Chicago, IL, December 28, 2009 18:30
    I love cars made by Buick. I have owned my Baby for 4 year. This year is the first that I have had a repair cost other than brakes, and a tune-ups. My first was the Century. When you are from a cold place like Chicago, the heat in this car is EXCELLENT. I would recommend this car over others that I have owned in the past and present. For example, Ford Explore, Dodge Caravan and Dynasty.
    stueve, Longmont, CO, December 20, 2009 14:50
    with 150,000 miles all Ive had to replace is my master cyl. and my power steering pump. It has been a very good car. Reached 26 mpg on roadtrip lastr summer.
  • 1996 Buick LeSabre
    dipsydoodle, Sumter, SC, December 03, 2009 15:17
    we're having trouble with a fast idle.it idles at 30mph i can take my foot off the gas and drive along idiling at 30mph.whats going on?
  • 1999 Buick LeSabre
    KEVIND, Cincinnati, OH, September 19, 2009 04:59
    good car
    Giabella, Nanuet, NY, August 29, 2009 10:40
    The catalytic converter died after 30,000 miles. After 3 years the driver side power window died. One month later the passenger side power window died. 2 years later the rear driver side power window died. 1 week after that the rear passenger power window died. About 2004 the switch for the light dimmer broke. 2007 the motor that diverts the heat into the car died. The accelerator has been sticking Over all not to impressed.
    foggywoman, Washington, PA, August 20, 2009 16:13
    I bought this April of 2009, I have bought it from a person in Ohio, I was worried about it passing Pennsylvania emmisions, because it has never been tested before. Well, once I replaced the muffler and tail pipe it passed just fine. The car rides great, gas mileage is great better than the Ford Tempo that we have. I would like to purchase a newer LeSabre. I would reccommend this car to anyone looking for a good car.
    tapple98, Rockledge, FL, August 17, 2009 17:01
    I LOVE THE AIR CONDITIONING & HEATING AND I LOVE THE ENGINE I LOVE EVERYTHING. YOU DID A VERY GOOD CAR
    Kiwimike, Twin Falls, ID, August 07, 2009 07:07
    I have always liked the Buick, has all the bells and whistles, this 2000 model was revamped in 2000 they did a good job with it. I have had not an ounce of problems with mine, and you cannot fault the 3.8 engine, they have been around for years....What an engine!!
  • 1991 Buick LeSabre
    rickg, Raleigh, NC, July 10, 2009 13:27
    power window units front and rear had to be replaced, not under warranty. 2001 LeSabre Custom only 68,000 miles transmission problems, no reverse happened thhis date 7/10 09
    inkman, Lititz, PA, April 25, 2009 21:41
    my buick is the best car that I ever owned. I like the way it rides,and handles. I get very good gas mileage I get about 24 miles in the city,and about 32 to 34 on the highway.
    krispli, Simpsonville, SC, April 21, 2009 15:22
    A headache.
    Lynne C., Savannah, GA, April 18, 2009 07:34
    I bought this car as a used company fleet car in 2005. I always get over 26 MPG in city driving, better than any of my friends! Remember Savannah is on the Atlantic Ocean, so it is very flat terrain here. I am fanatic about the oil changes & tire rotation. Quiet and comfortable ride! My third Buick. Only little things have gone wrong, like the backseat cup holder fell off & I just now replaced the brake pads. Good car & carries 6 passengers comfortably. Wish it had a "pass through" from the backseat to the trunk however. What's a drive train?
    John_17837, Lewisburg, PA, April 14, 2009 05:53
    This is by far the best car my wife and I have owned. The car has 134000 miles and has only had tires replaced once and regular maintainence completed by a certified mechanic. The car delivers the best ride and gas millage for a large car on the market. You can't go wrong with this car. The ownership cost is low.
    American Made Buyer, Spring Hill, FL, April 13, 2009 09:31
    The Big "B" is not driven often, however it has held up well considering most of the miles driven have been short trips.
    James527, Milwaukee, WI, March 02, 2009 17:57
    Great engine. Electrical gets a little touch and go as the car ages. Hate all the gaps and joints in the body - lots of places for water to run and debris to accumulate = rust problems
    tipple_1999, Apple Creek, OH, February 09, 2009 18:11
    I hate that you cannot select any options on the heater/ac. I like warm feet!
    pat67, Overland Park, KS, February 03, 2009 18:04
    I've had my 1990 Lesabre for almost 4 years and drive it daily. It has been very reliable. The odometer broke at 129k and I've replaced brakes, battery, radiator, water pump, front axle. Parts are inexpensive gets 22 miles per gallon on average.
    RUSTY, Clearfield, UT, January 07, 2009 18:04
    THIS HAS BEEN A PRETTY RELIABLE VEHICLE. THE ONLY PROBLEMS I'VE HAD ARE THE CENTER ARM REST BOLTS BROKE. THE ALTERNATOR WENT OUT AND THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER LEAKED. CAR DRIVES FINE AND IS VERY COMFORTABLE.
    MilesCamp, Shelton, WA, January 02, 2009 20:42
    This car is 11 years old and everything is still working perfectly except for the left turn return. It is a very comfortable car - the only thing that I could wish for is better insulation - the road noise is more than it should be in a car of this quality. I get 28-29 mpg.
    Nomanon, Santa Clarita, CA, November 11, 2008 11:27
    This is my first Buick. Excellent road car. No problems in 65,000 miles. Very comfortable. Drive is smooth, quiet, and car performs effortlessly. Gas mileage ranges from 27-31 on the road and about 20 in town. Will buy another Buick.
    kecia, Hingham, MA, October 22, 2008 19:11
    Very comfortable ride, classy looking car. I get 26-31 MPG.
    BestHomes, Niles, IL, September 15, 2008 20:10