Reviews for Buick Century years:

Buick Century Reviews and Owner Comments

Buick CenturyOwner Reviews (54 reviews)
    Visitor, Stilwell, KS, November 24, 2014 17:20
    I am 29 years old and have owned two 1994 Buick Centuries in my life - the first time as a teenager in high school and just recently bought another (both white with blue interior!). I didn't appreciate what I had as a teenager, but after owning a few other less quality cars in the last 10 years, I knew it was fate when I came across the craigslist ad for a white 94 Buick Century after I totaled my last car. At 20 years old, she has little to no rust, has been perfectly maintained with all documentation, was always garaged, never driven in bad/wet weather and only had 51,983 ACTUAL miles! It is perfect because it is reliable, cheap to fix and maintain and unassuming. The only complaints I have are that the gear shift lever on the column gets in the way of the radio controls and seat covers are pretty much impossible to find unless you have them custom made. Other than that, best car ever. I'm hoping to own a third one some day!
  • 1992 Buick Century
    Visitor, North Olmsted, OH, April 27, 2014 20:03
    155,000 miles on a limited wagon white with fake wood paneling. Automatic 4 speed overdrive. MSRP over $20,000. Options galore but, as time goes by the options fail to work. Power antenna quit as well as harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, power window motor, difficult to get a mechanic to diagnos accurately. Put in 10 fuel injectors due to incompetent service work and 3 techs still couldn't figure out the last rough running was due to an injector.
  • 1993 Buick Century
    warrior.of.god86, Brazoria, TX, February 15, 2014 22:38
    Its a good first car for any kid... but its a money pit... just simply cuz its a out dated car from a era ware we cut corners . Nothing like a good ol classic.. American muscle
    Visitor, Hartly, DE, February 14, 2014 13:40
    I have had my Buick Century since I was 16 years old and I am currently 21. I started off with about 80k miles and have babied it ever since. She has 140k miles and runs like new now that I replaced a few things on her. I had to replace all of the hoses for the cooling system due to leaks. The biggest expense ($700) though for repairs was the exhaust manifold gasket. I did do some aftermarket performance parts for it such as dual flowmaster super 10 exhaust, a weapon- r ram intake and a few electronic upgrades just to get some better fuel economy. Now I get an average of 27mpg in the summer and 24-25mpg in the winter. The window motor in the driver window also failed on me. About a year after I got the car I had a bunch of lights come up in my dash such as the coolant light, the low oil light, low tire light and a service engine light. The coolant one was obvious because I had leaky hoses but I could never figure out the other two. They went away on there own most of them did. I had to get a mechanic to clear the tire one. Also for some reason, when it shifts it shifts kind of slow. It has a delay between gears.
    squassels, Eastport, ME, December 29, 2013 20:33
    Good car...always starts in the cold...problems with the wiper blades and motors for the wipers...prevalent problem,,,engine is powerful and not bad on gas...a lot of problems with the power window motors...replaced two in two years of owning this car....
  • 1997 Buick Century
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, June 22, 2013 22:28
    Is there anybody out there that has problems with lost of power while driving at a constant speed or upon exceliration?
    Visitor, Marana, AZ, February 12, 2013 16:40
    I HAVE A 1990 BUICK CENTRY 3300 I HAVE CHANGED INJECTORS FUEL PUMP FUEL REGALATOR IT TRYS TO RUN BUT WONT THE COIL PACK HAS 3 SEPERIT COILS I NEED TO KNOW DOES THE#1 AND#4 COIL GO TOWARDS THE ALTANATOR OR TOWARDS THE READITOR AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE FIRING ORDER IS ROTATION IS CLOCKWISE PLEASE HELP
    Visitor, Bradenton, FL, January 26, 2013 13:52
    I don't understand this car has very bad brake problems they sound metal to metal all the time have replaced 2 times a year is only drove around town local. Maybe someone can tell me about these brakes the back wears not the front, and every thing that can be change has been and still doesn't work. please email me with any help
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, January 04, 2013 08:08
    my has engine lite on . they tell me it my purge solenoid.what does it do and how do i change it
    Dee Moreland, Cardington, OH, June 25, 2012 12:20
    Bought used in 2007 with 147k miles. Transmission seemed testy at 35-45 mph. At 190,000 transmission went out. (Replaced by family members.) A/C now not working. (Fan runs, but not cool.) In need of balance and alignment, but runs nice as my parents OLDs did... prefer Olds, Chev, Buicks. Lights to center console that tells temperature in/out rarely works.Like the ride and comfortable. Would buy again, but make sure trany ok.
    tinky, Chicago, IL, May 27, 2012 10:07
    i keep smelling antifreeze low coolant light want go off changed the antifreeze change the oil and making some kind of belt noise and like sprinkles of some fluid i dnt know if its the coolant fluid sprinkles car not smoking temp gage go futher than usual but not to hot help me plz.
    Visitor, Chester, VA, October 19, 2011 12:05
    Where should I start? I'm 17, and this is my second car (my first was a Shovette lol). I found this car early in March of 2011. It was an old hunk of junk in some lady's barn. It was hers but the water pump went out and then she just used it to store hay and feed the horses from the trunk. I got it for $50, towed it home and slapped a water pump in it and it has been running since. I got it at only 69k miles. The paint is rusted and that's it, the inside is in perfect condition but there is still a little hay in the trunk. This car is big and a lot faster than one would think. If you press the gas, it WILL move. Taking corners is a little thick and lumbering but its fine. The engine is huge and has plenty of power with very little road noise. This thing will run with anything you throw at it, I've taken it on a few road trips and its perfectly great. Its ready to start as soon as you touch the key in the ignition. This thing is a beast, not to mention so comfy to ride in. I'm a Buick buyer for life now.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, October 07, 2011 15:08
    What would make a 2005 Buick Century leak gas out on the carburator intake every now and then?
    Visitor, Sun Valley, CA, October 02, 2011 19:50
    I have over 315,000 miles on the original engine, and it seems to keep going strong. I have noticed just in the past couple weeks its been taking a little longer to start-up. I did have to have the exhaust manifold gasket changed cause it was leaking coolant in and out the engine. Two of the windows no longer roll up or down, the Check Oil light is forever on, as is the Low Coolant, and Service Engine Soon lights, and I also no longer have working Hi-beams. Also, the A/C comes on when it feels like it and goes off when it feels like it, so I tend to just drive with it on so as not to constantly hear the switching. And the light to be able to read the gauges at night doesn't work, or sometimes does work but it's very rare when it does and goes off just as mysteriously as it turned on.
    Visitor, Thomaston, GA, August 24, 2011 22:09
    the car is in excellent condition and very low milage about what would this car sell for
    Visitor, Highland, NY, July 31, 2011 07:20
    I bought my 90 Buick Century about 6 months ago. It passed hands many many times and was not well maintained. It was in 2 accidents before I owned it and when I bought it I was mostly just crossing my fingers that it would last more than a month. The odometer read 100k when it got to me but the instrument cluster was broken so god only knows when that stopped working. It seemed like a project car but I was pleasantly surprised. since I replaced the instr. cluster I've added just shy of 20k miles, taken it cross country and back twice, and only done very minor repairs. The water pump went, but that was only about an hours work to replace, and now my power windows are out. I plan to keep this car until it's final day, whenever that may be, and after driving Mazdas and Chryslers and Fords, I will only own Buicks from now on.
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, July 05, 2011 11:09
    What can I say! I have driven a Volvo, several Fords and a Toyota and none of these vehicle compare favorably with my Buick. At over 300K miles (this is not a mistake) and counting, I have only had work done on the radiator recently. Outside of the normal wear such as brakes and some window issues, I have had no problems with this car. I intend to get another Buick Century.
    Visitor, Columbus, OH, May 31, 2011 08:18
    At over 101,000 I still love my fancy-goldie. This is absolutely the BEST car I have ever had and I am sorry they stopped making the Century. I replaced her brakes and rotors at about 85,000. I have had some slowness starting in the electric window rolling down on the passenger side. She has a little bit of a clack of the engine while in park - but dealer said that was normal and nothing to worry about. The starter will probably have to be replaced soon because sometimes she tries to start up longer than it should. The air conditioning is a little slow at cooling down. I am not going to complain about any of these because she is a great, sturdy car with a lot of room and cargo space. I joke and call her my truck. I plan on keeping her until she totally dies. Love this car!
    Visitor, Covington, KY, May 14, 2011 10:54
    replacing head gaskets
  • 1991 Buick Century
    James The Fox, Pleasant Grove, UT, April 19, 2011 15:21
    An excellent car for those who like to explore while being comfortable. Also great as a commuter vehicle because of the fact that one has plenty of legroom and trunk space is not limited.
    Visitor, Buckeye, AZ, April 17, 2011 09:39
    Great car now at 130,000 with still no oil leaks! Did have to replace water pump at around 100k. The air conditioning in these cars is amazing!!!
    Visitor, Florence, AZ, January 31, 2011 12:37
    My girlfriend bought her Buick Century new in 1998. She`s gone through two sets of window motors at a cost of $400 each. That`s $3,200 total! Now the brakes have the car in the shop and she won`t tell me how much it will cost. But she did say it`s over $500 at the dealer. I think she`s getting ripped off there. I paid to get her A/C fixed for $1,300 at the dealer. Again we got ripped off I feel. The car still runs great at 80,000 miles but repairs at the dealer are very expensive. The plastic interior is cheap and the summer heat ruined it. From the outside it still looks new and rides beautiful. Buick needed to address a few flaws to make future buyers happier.
  • 1999 Buick Century
    A Greedy Tree, Aubrey, TX, January 02, 2011 21:34
    My car has 164202. It's a nice car. The only thing I don't like about it is that it looks like a granny car. The ride is smooth and quiet. The outside is in good shape. The inside is also pretty clean. The car is very reliable. The only things I've had to fix is the waterpump, thermostat, belt, belt tensioner, tires, and wheel alignment. There are some other things that also need to be fixed such as window motors, A/C, and some speakers. I'm going to wait till summer to fix it though. I don't mind fixing those things cause I only paid $2000 for it. Overall, its a great car. Engine runs good and everything.
    danshe, Ansonia, CT, December 27, 2010 09:16
    Great gas mileage 32 highway. Had a problem with intake manifold failure due to GM Dexcoo 33k miles covered by GM.Had the transmission flushed at about 46,000 miles ,few weeks latter the transmission would slip then catch , had to have a rebuild at independent shop .They said any small problem can show up with fluid change. There are a number of valves that are open and close with the fluid and have some ware, as long as the fluid is thick no problems but with new fluid problems show up. Cost $1300.
    Visitor, Superior, WI, December 22, 2010 06:16
    I have a Buick Century 1998 limited it has 227k miles. In the summer i fishtailed into a swamp engine first. I thought it was done for but she keeps on going with minimal repair, this car is a fighter thats for sure. For my first car i gotta say i love it!
  • 1995 Buick Century
    matthew 28, Lake Geneva, WI, December 10, 2010 18:35
    actually a pretty damn good car when its running. i have replaced many parts and had it checked out as needed this one i cant figure out it starts for e few minutes and then dies. alot of money has been put in it. does any knows about this issue.
    lfsmith20, Statesville, NC, December 10, 2010 12:01
    Having problems with window moter, cluster light, manifold and abs brake sysem
    sgemalsky, Phoenix, AZ, November 21, 2010 10:18
    Its a nice looking car. The Air Conditioner is fantastic. Its very conftortable to ride in and there is plently of room to fit my family. Gas mileage is decent, I have had problems with the drivers window not working and the water pump going out.
    Visitor, Fontana, CA, October 11, 2010 22:52
    This car is awesome i have hardly any problems like not even no major only minors and it has about 300,000k miles and its still running good noting wrong with it so i strongly recommend this car and any Buick.
  • 1996 Buick Century
    Bizzle, Martins Ferry, OH, October 09, 2010 14:18
    My grandfather bought this car brand new in 96' and did nothing more than the usual tune ups, oil changes, brakes, tires belts, etc... Sadly he passed away in 2007 and the car was left to me with approx. 92,000 miles on it. There is now around 98,000 on it and is in excellent shape other than a few dents and dings that I caused lol. Overall thought, I think this is an excellent car and would reccommend to anyone to buy a buick. Very reliable.
    Visitor, Murrysville, PA, September 21, 2010 12:15
    I bought this low mileage one owner car as a work car. This was my 6th Buick. Between the rocker panel rust, window motor replacements, and errant engine light problems, within a year I sold it. I will never buy a Buick, or any other GM car again!
  • 1995 Buick Century
    Visitor, Elverson, PA, September 16, 2010 17:55
    As many problems as I've had with this car, I just can't seem to part with it! I've had the intake manifold gasket done twice, and the transmission just conked out on me for the second time. Still, I'm wrestling with getting rid of it. It handles like a dream, especially in snow, the engine still has a lot of pep to it, and with regular maintenance, it has had few problems in the 5 years I've had it. It's got 170,000 miles, and after I got the overheating problem fixed, it's running beautifully. So...I dunno...
  • 1993 Buick Century
    creativefia, Middletown, CT, August 23, 2010 21:56
    I am trying to fix my car so I can have it for a couple of years more and was wounder if its worth it I love my car its been good to me know it has a bad oil leak and needs a muffler and I dont have that much money I am a mother of two disable children and I happen to be a widow trying to put my life back and be independed again I need to fix my car please see if someone can help so I wont loose my job in Sept and so I can get my Kids back and forth to there Doctor apt thanks I want to save my car I love this car''
    Visitor, Collinsville, IL, August 09, 2010 19:06
    Just bought a 2002 Century used. 60,000 miles. Like the car so far for ride and feel. Just changed the oil and filter and that turned out to be more of a pain than I'm used to. Attempted the air filter and the replacement didn't seem to match up with the owners manual. Finally gave up and will take to the shop. Hopefully all of the "basic" maintenance isn't this difficult
    Sgrizzly, San Angelo, TX, July 29, 2010 15:30
    Got this car at 95,000 and now has 110,000 with no repairs since purchase. Really drives nice and with the exception of window problems has been a great car.
    Visitor, Gainesville, FL, July 26, 2010 21:52
    We bought our 94 Century in 95 as an off-lease vehicle, it ran great up until just over 150K miles which we hit in 2009. Then everything crapped out at once..door handles, power windows, a/c, intake manifold gasket, and finally the transmission. But it ran for 14 years with regular maintenance and some brake repairs now and then. Great car.
    Visitor, Camillus, NY, July 19, 2010 19:05
    Too many little things go wrong around 50,000-60,000 miles.
    Visitor, League City, TX, July 18, 2010 18:06
    GM could not GIVE me one of their cars ever; have 2000 Buick with approx. 130,000 miles; Transmission went out twice at cost of $3500; all window motors went out twice; Heater/Ac blower switch went out twice at cost of $700 each time; electrical problems brake lights; my dash cluster doesn't light up; this car should have been re-called. Next time, I'll buy foreign like Toyota.
    Visitor, Fort Mill, SC, June 28, 2010 10:48
    Great car except i just had to have my transmission rebuilt.
  • 1992 Buick Century
    Visitor, Tarentum, PA, June 27, 2010 17:04
    they are no good
    Visitor, Cape Girardeau, MO, June 15, 2010 16:40
    I have a 90 buick century, 173,919 miles on ie minamal work through the yrs tillthis ysr now having a stalling problem ew cant figure out, neither can shop. body in good condition except for typical buick blue top coat fading, interior still ranking at almost perfect condition, suspinsion and steering stilll excellent, heating and air excellent, one this stalling problems get fixed ill drive it another 20 yrs. just replaced fuel filtre for first time it was factory filter 20 yrs old . replced thermostate one in last 20 yrs. I love my buick century.
  • 1999 Buick Century
    steboz, Holly Springs, NC, May 01, 2010 09:24
    1999 Buick Century, surprised me with ten years of comfortable ride. I had an engine gasket replacement and the clutch is slipping now at 115K. It actually looks like the trans fluid is overfilled , this may be the reason. I hope to run it to 160K miles or more. Also had the AC recharged ones. My stupid Toyota matrix at 97K blew an exhaust valve in one of the engine cylinders. Damn tyo. corp. said: "to bad your out of engine warranty" even so this was a direct result of an engine control malfunction for 5 yeras, which they replaced last year.
    Tanne, Winter Park, FL, April 28, 2010 13:22
    I absolutely love my Century... it has been a wonderful car with very little repairs, other than normal wear and tear... I'm pushing 150,000 miles and can't complain. Still get 22-25 mpg around town and the car continues to run well. Excellent choice for someone looking for a reliable vehicle!
    Visitor, Lombard, IL, April 26, 2010 19:14
    I have owned this car for 9years and havehad very few problems and just the normal maintenance.The car gets very good gas mileage,22city,29-30 on the highway.I feel I really am getting my monies worth out of this car.
    jamesf, Fairview Heights, IL, March 28, 2010 15:47
    Thje car has given good service. The major problem is the driver A/C does not throw out cold air but the passenger side does. We have not got a good answer from the repair shop.
  • 1997 Buick Century
    KingChris, Mobile, AL, March 25, 2010 18:18
    Nice car. The only issue i have is that the engine is 'sideways'.
    DennyBuick, Bedford, OH, March 17, 2010 19:00
    On long trips I can get in excess of 34 miles per gallon of gas, in mountains. Car is dependable and starts in most 99.44 percent of the time. In most cases I have changed oil at the 3K to 4K mile standard. I had to do one brake job which led me to rate as a 3 star. Had two transmission flushes and a filter change at 46,000 miles. You may need to keep an eye on the oil seep around the valve cover area for gasket replacement. I just did this operation today at 89,000 miles. This is a great web site for car questions and answers and to find repair shops and estimates. I just saved about $100 on the Valve cover gasket replacement, by shopping around.
    nomorebuicks, Saint Augustine, FL, March 01, 2010 05:38
    Bought this 2001 Buick as second owner with 65,000 miles at a Buick Dealer in St. Augustine, FL. After 30 day warranty ended transmission started jumping when changing gears. Finally starting getting worse after a few more miles so I took it to AAMCO transmission. They said transmission was shot and needed total overhall for approx $2,700. After the work was done within a month same problem started again. They keep re-setting solinoid but problem kept happening. Took the car back many times to fix. Finally the repair was out of warranty and was never repaired correctly. Now after 1-1/2 years the transmission stopped working as I was driving down the road... just jumped out of gear and never would go back into ANY gear. Now, stranded in St. Augustine again....... I would not buy another Buick of any kind... besides, people think I'm older than I am just because I drive a Buick.
    jbuch002, Lawrenceville, GA, December 31, 2009 11:14
    Bought this well maintained car (all service records present at the time of sale) with 69,000 miles on it in a private sale from the original owner in 2006. It has been virtually trouble free to 125,000 miles. I just had 120,000 mile service done which included draining and flushing the transmission. Watch out for high prices here. Big variance from 100 bucks to near 300 bucks .... check your local GM dealerships and ask what they are charging by make and model year. There is a difference between "drain" and "drain and flush." Parts prices vary widely. I've heard comments from don't need the drain and flush to yes you do .... I tend to think it should be done, especially if fluid is not bright red (mine wasn't .... dull but not brown) b/c I drive cars to 250K, have been very particular about doing the recommended maintenance and it has served me well. Just use this site to get a good idea of costs and then compare prices and go where you can get a good price and reputable service. I can recommend this car as a very good value if you can find a 2002 Century Custom with less than 110,000 on it. After 2002, GM dropped some of the features on this body style and had some other engineering changes that make the 2003 and on versions less desireable.
    Postal47, Mankato, MN, April 19, 2009 14:56
    Not one repair in 90,000 miles other than normal maintenance items such as tires, battery, oil & trans fluid changes, radiator fluid changes, front brake pads, etc. This is the type of car everyone would want for a trouble free life of driving and quiet inside noise with pillowtop smoothness. Two separate trips averaged 31.7 and 29.7mpg on a 3000 and 6000 plus miles vacation driving anywhere from 70 to 80MPH. A definite great buy for a money conscious person
    hopp1, Naples, FL, April 11, 2009 18:33
    has not cost a lot in 7 years. replaced exhaust gasket was 700.00 tires & baterys
    dgbrunes, Satellite Beach, FL, April 06, 2009 10:57
    Had a problem with intake manifold failure due to GM Dexcool. Cost me $1100.00. AC high pressure hose failed but was replaced by warentee.
    My2GirlsDad, Kingston, NY, March 07, 2009 12:48
    I received this car when my father died in 2000. At 15 years old and with 143,700 miles, it still runs great. Change oil every 3k, now using high mileage oil. My dad knew how to pick an automoblie.
    eyepatch, Camillus, NY, November 03, 2008 23:55
    11 years old when i got it, 65000 miles. 3 years and 30000 miles later its holding well, regular maintenance with a few other repairs